Exercise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A fun easy way to juice up your pushups is the Tyson pushup. Don't let this vid scare you, they are simple and fun to do

Last edited:
Yeah Goggins joined the woodland firefighters. I thought he was going to smoke jumping also. It’s interesting to me that he took a job like that when he makes so much more doing his talks. He’s doing it as a challenge and I’m sure it’s motivating to those he works with

He did smoke jumping too. I wonder if he uses a saw?

Rich, try getting a Thai rope for your jump rope. Thicker and heavier than a standard jump rope. Works the arms and shoulders a lot more. Great cardio and if you’re feeling brave do it barefoot. You will definitely learn how to jump the rope and clipping your toes is eye wateringly painful.

Something like this.

I have the Twins one. Had it years and still going strong.

Definitely get a Thai rope though for anyone looking to jump rope

Hard to explain the difference until you go back to skinny rope.

When I was training in Thailand we used to run 8km -12km in the morning and then skip for 30 minutes before training. Same in the afternoon. Afternoon session was then followed by 6x5min rounds of bag work. 5x5mins in the ring with a trainer. 45 minutes of clinch work and then 45 mins sparring. Rounded off by 200 sit-ups and often 300 knees on the heavy bag. Killer workouts, 6 days a week.

Sunday was day off so we went to the temple for a sauna.

My feet, shins and body took a while to get used to it.

It was in 2002 though so I was a bit younger.

Crap quality picture but a period in my life I will always look back on fondly.

IMG_8180.jpeg

Definitely get a Thai rope though for anyone looking to jump rope

Hard to explain the difference until you go back to skinny rope.

When I was training in Thailand we used to run 8km -12km in the morning and then skip for 30 minutes before training. Same in the afternoon. Afternoon session was then followed by 6x5min rounds of bag work. 5x5mins in the ring with a trainer. 45 minutes of clinch work and then 45 mins sparring. Rounded off by 200 sit-ups and often 300 knees on the heavy bag. Killer workouts, 6 days a week.

Sunday was day off so we went to the temple for a sauna.

My feet, shins and body took a while to get used to it.

It was in 2002 though so I was a bit younger.

Crap quality picture but a period in my life I will always look back on fondly.

View attachment 135402
Still doesn't explain why you don't have extra rope...

Haha. I got more rope than you can imagine.

Nothing beats a Thai rope. The smoothness of the bearing. The weight in the arms and shoulder and the inevitable broken big toe nails.

Can do that with even some of the thickest off cuts of rigging line.

Some day maybe. Fortunately My fighting days are long gone. I never fought competitively and don’t plan on starting at 45. That doesn’t rule out the BJJ and MT classes that I’m waiting to hear back about. The gym (dojo) s 3 miles from my house and I’m actually looking to get the kids into it. I might just have to make it a family affair though

I’m seeing results both physically and mentally. Mentally my mood is better and I’m more alert. Physically I have more stamina and I don’t have to do the “lean” to find my six pack anymore. Besides cold plunge, pushups, squats, and jumping rope I’ve added the heavy bag, pull ups, and some sort of hanging crunches to my morning routine. The added stuff is based on how I feel and my time constraint. Timing depends on how long I procrastinate getting in the cold water. 😆.
I might be going to observe a bjj class Saturday morning. Not that I know a lot about it but I know I want to see how they spar. If I end up doing it I don’t want to be someone’s (for lack of a better term) punching bag. Some gyms try to get a year contract and then beat you till you quit. I’m to old to piss around like that

Rich, one can't question the physical and mental benefits of your work outs but regarding the cold tub, do you feel the benefits are as 'real' as the benefits of your exercise? Meaning that exercise benefits are proven by science whereas the science is not nearly as strong re cold dunking, afaik.

I personally feel the benefits are real and repeatable but jw what you think at this stage of your journey. Thanks

I’m really not sure @cory. I pretty much started doing them both at the same time. The plunge is part of my routine now. I’ve only missed one morning because of the condition the hospital prep put me in. Didn’t want to risk shitting myself when hitting the ice. I felt off that day and did it after I recovered. I wouldn’t be as inclined to do the light work outs if I didn’t need to warm back up so…..? The plunge is strange. I despise it every morning but feel great when it’s over. I figure it’s only three minutes of suffering ( which I strangely enjoy) and the day has to get better from there.
One of our office staff does his plunge immediately after work. He says that the endorphin rush puts him in a good mood no matter how bad his work day was.

Back