Exercises - general conditioning

Did you see that thing on Spike re his career?? Pretty cool, and impressive, especially early on before alot of guys started studying his art.

No doubt Royce Gracie is awesome. I thought it was interesting that among his brothers and cousins he was the 'weaker' one.

I wish I had 2+ hours a day to train. I do rock out pull ups in the morning in sets of 12, and push ups in the evening in sets of 50. Weight training at least 3 days a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suspect the daily pull ups and push ups are some of the most long-term beneficial work you do...good way to roll.

I used to bang out 100 situps and 50 press ups each morning before work. I have been a bit slack lately but I find climbing 5-6 days and a couple of Muay Thai classes a week does me.

I pull a hand plane across wood, sometimes for six-eight hours a day, never having gone the machine route for finish. Not everyday, but when I get back to doing it, things tighten right up. Lower body gets the cycling treatment. Guys I tree work with are always telling me that they look at me and see how crazy it was to go to war with America. :lol: They tend to have much smaller frames....but wiry with good endurance and lots of discipline....work my sad butt into the ground. I need more fuel too, not those silly little breaks where they don't eat anything.

I found a picture from back when I worked for Davey. I was working 60-70 hours per week and living on booze and cigarettes. Maybe that's what it takes for me to be thin. I was about 165 here, which is 20 lbs less than my current weight.

View attachment 27214

Anybody here use kettlebells? They look like fun but I've never tried 'em. They seem kinda expensive for a hunk of iron.

Well that would rule me out. But why do you say that?

Kettlebells are definitely not just for young people. They are not a substitute for dumbells, they have are their own identity with their own separate goals.

My wife likes the kettle bells, but it's a whole different type of workout. I believe the idea is to work on groups of muscles rather than individual muscles, or something like that. She says the Soviet military used them a lot for training.

Kettle bells are old school but very effective for core strength.
Here is my homemade power rack I built out of 2"X4" lumber in my basement years ago during the lean years.Still use it today.
I have a total of a little over 400 lbs in plates. Used a ez curl bar up high for a chinup bar, bicycle bars for extra grips. Safety spot rests for heavy bench presses, decline to incline bench. Used 2"X4" inside measurement steel tubing that slides up and down uprights locked with a 1/2" carriage bolt at different holes for bench presses, shoulder presses.
I workout on a 3 day routine. Day 1- back, biceps. Day 2- shoulders, chest and triceps. Day 3-deadlifts. Every day abs [hanging knee raise, crunches]. Every day treadmill.

Willard.

Attachments

• home gym 003.jpg
    home gym 003.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 4
  • home gym 001.jpg
    home gym 001.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 4
  • home gym 006.jpg
    home gym 006.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 4
Back