Exercises - general conditioning

Cheap to build guys, some 8' 2X4 ,carriage bolts and 12" of steel tubing. Beats spending $500 to a $1000 on a factory one.
I do miss the gang at the local gym though. I go in there once in a while just to make sure no one has died or something. Our gym is all hardcore free weights, with only one cable pulldown station. I used to piss all the guys off when I was on my leg day , I would load up the leg press machine with 18 - 45 lb plates [over 800 lbs] on my max reps and no plates for anyone else to use.

Willard:lol:

Santa brought a treadmill for xmas, and I gotta say I've been getting good use out of it- pop in a half hour workout whenever the time is right without getting all geared up to fight the ridiculous winter we're having. And because it's easy to do, it gets done more regularly which so far, knock on wood, has allowed my funky knee to handle it.

That's great! If your knee starts to bother you, consider a recumbent bike.

Does wrapping help the knee any?

No, doesn't help. It's the knee cap, it has no cartilage, so it's pretty frickin finicky

Man, I'd almost not do the treadmill thing, then. My blown knee started telling me to stop running, so I pretty much just walk instead. I miss jumping off roofs. I could still probably do it but I'm not gonna chance it.

Yeah I know. I mostly do walk, working in a bit of running, but taking an iron grip on my will and try not to overdo it. Last I read, you were working in a fair amount of running with the walking, still doing it? Walking is fantastic fun to me, its just that running is even better.

Ha, I wanted to jump off my roof after I shoveled a massive amount of snow off of it, jump into the pile, but a little voice said, "Nah..."

Its a bigger, faster high, to me.

Btw, are ya still running, or simply walking?

Hey Gary- Pantherabra, on the "I like Knives" thread, you posted a vid and it followed to a 15 min stretching vid you did using a pole. I hadn't seen that posted before, maybe I missed it. Care to post it here and discuss?

Btw, you say in it that it is a good warmup for things like tree climbing....ha, if I did that first I wouldn't have much left for climbing...:O

Benchpressing a badger for about 15 minutes works just as fine:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Gary- Pantherabra, on the "I like Knives" thread, you posted a vid and it followed to a 15 min stretching vid you did using a pole. I hadn't seen that posted before, maybe I missed it. Care to post it here and discuss?

Btw, you say in it that it is a good warmup for things like tree climbing....ha, if I did that first I wouldn't have much left for climbing...:O

10-4 on the badger...two minutes with a badger is probably a lifetime of workouts in one. :lol:

That full routine can be done in probably 6-7 minutes, with good effect. It can be a bit taxing at first but once your body learns you are not trying to kill it the stretches are good...it's a matter of getting the body and mind synched up.

I'll fetch it soon and we can discuss as much as you wish.

The stick stretches are part of a Burmese yoga system called Dhanda Yoga. This system uses a staff (about 6' long) to assist with the stretches. It allows your body to relax into the stretches.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/osM2MjfxVVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Do you do it on a regular basis, per week?

Its just impressive. I suspect most people couldn't do it as shown without a real lot of work and time spent. You look like you are in excellent shape, but you are no spring chicken age-wise;), how is your physical self holding up? I ask cuz I have a knee that would make lots of that routine highly challenging to say the least, but maybe you feel like workouts like that are responsible for good joint health,. or repair. Or maybe you've got some some tough spots that you work around or through. Hope I'm not asking too much info.

Do you do it on a regular basis, per week?

Its just impressive. I suspect most people couldn't do it as shown without a real lot of work and time spent. You look like you are in excellent shape, but you are no spring chicken age-wise;), how is your physical self holding up? I ask cuz I have a knee that would make lots of that routine highly challenging to say the least, but maybe you feel like workouts like that are responsible for good joint health,. or repair. Or maybe you've got some some tough spots that you work around or through. Hope I'm not asking too much info.

In 1995 the Chief Instructor (Grandmaster of the Bando system, a man from Burma) started formally teaching the yoga systems that are part of bando, a martial system that I have studied for years. He started with Dhanda Yoga, a system using a staff (about 6' long) to assist with the stretches. We had been doing the "empty hand" yoga stretches for many years and some dhanda but he started focusing on the formal yoga systems as he grew older. The dhanda made a big difference in my flexibilty, it was an "oh, wow" thing, hard to believe how effective it could be. For years I did dhanda almost every day, maybe 6-10 minute sessions at least once a day. I always do a stretching routine before any strenuous activity (treework, gym workouts, moving stuff around in our warehouse, etc.).

I think he taught Dhanda first so that our bodies could get ready for what he taught after that...Longyi Yoga. You mention you have a knee that might be a problem. The good thing about the dhanda is that the staff supports your weight while you slowly get into the stretch.

About 5 years ago he started intensively teaching Longyi Yoga, a system that uses a rope (or sash if you are a monk) to help stretch. We use the rope for solo practice (standing, sitting, lying), anchored to a pole or tree, and as a group exercise. In the group work several folks all link up together (carabiners all snapped into a 3 inch brass ring)...the dynamics involved in balancing with other people linked up together has similarities to the large balance balls you see in gyms.

I now do the longyi at least once a day, often 2-3 times per day. I usually do a 5 minute routine in the AM after a hot shower. I'll do a set at work if I am working in the warehouse. Then, if I am training bando or at my gym, I will do a longyi set then, also. When I train at the gym I usually do anchored, standing and sitting longyi sequences. I still do dhanda periodically, but not everyday...longyi is what I do most now.

The purpose of the staff and rope is to let you adjust, align and manipulate your body (joints, muscles, tendons, etc.) on your own, safely.

I am convinced that my flexibility, strength and basic fitness are very much influenced by the dhanda and longyi yoga. So far my "not a spring chicken self" is doing pretty good. I do wonder how long I'll be able to keep up the physical level of activity that I do now. I can do things now that I could not do several years ago...that is due to the Bando Yoga practice.

Here is a brief video of some of the roll training we were doing last week...this is part of the training in a Burmese sword system. I am the one with the short brown hair, no sash and wrestling shoes. Without the longyi I am pretty sure I could not do these rolls. They still need work but they are slowly getting better.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u7tKHuGFQHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I recall you saying that you don't like to ride your bike in your area, but maybe you could get back to that a little too? Get in better condition with the treadmill, then hop on your bike.

Back