Don't Be Afraid!!!!

This thread got me thinkin'. We complain about immigrants not adapting to our language, when frankly a giant segment of our so-called "American" population is functionally illiterate. Pot calling the kettle black.

Stig, your English is great. I was surprised you were from Denmark, since you have a mastery of colloquialisms and idiomatic structures.

I'm equally surprised that you had such difficulty with cyrillic. After all you are a dirty Commie!

Stig, you do an unbelievably fine job with English, trust me.

I "picked some nits" for you....

Nits grow into lice!
So keep picking.
The first one is a typo, but the comma both before and after a word, has me baffled.
Semicolon is not used very much in danish, so I am not in the habit of using it at all. I do know the rules governing it's usage, though, and you are right about one fitting right in there.

The first one is a typo, but the comma both before and after a word, has me baffled.

I think this applies to your question:

"Anything that looks like a spelling error though, will likely be a typo."

The word "though" should be set-off with commas because it is not essential to the sentence.

3. Use a pair of commas in the middle of a sentence to set off clauses, phrases, and words that are not essential to the meaning of the sentence. Use one comma before to indicate the beginning of the pause and one at the end to indicate the end of the pause.

Here are some clues to help you decide whether the sentence element is essential:

* If you leave out the clause, phrase, or word, does the sentence still make sense?
* Does the clause, phrase, or word interrupt the flow of words in the original sentence?
* If you move the element to a different position in the sentence, does the sentence still make sense?

If you answer "yes" to one or more of these questions, then the element in question is nonessential and should be set off with commas. Here are some example sentences with nonessential elements:

Word: I appreciate your hard work. In this case, however, you seem to have over-exerted yourself.

"However" is not essential to the sentence.

more examples gary? that is very helpfull

More examples, Gary? That is very helpful(l).

Hahaha...now methinks you are baiting me, matey. :lol:

I donna wanna be a grammar Nazi. However, since you asked, my friend, I did correct your query. There is, in all fairness, a good chance that I have fallen into your subtle, but clever, trap. Oy vey :P

naw, im not very good at grammer. just ask butch, i think sometimes, i drive him nuts! hows that for learning from your lesson?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
angryslap.gif

lol01.gif

I gladly welcome ANY advice ANYONE who sees the way I slap my words together and has advice. Seriously, merely quote my mistake and correct it for me.

Ok people, me to. This is gonna hurt:\: Only catch, you have to tell me why it's wrong so I can learn.

Two members' changes come to mind, Carl and Magnus.

Carl, you were the only really young member worth reading in the past. Spelling was not so good...you do so well now. I agree, it comes across more professional.

Magnus. Wow. You always got your point across, but it was obvious that English wasn't your first language. It would be hard to tell now.

What happened to that Russian guy, I wonder?

I think it's disruptive to a thread to have grammar lessons popped in, though. My opinion, again.

Lots of rules there that I don't think I know. Quotes vs single quotes? Commas in or outside the quote mark?

Ok people, me to. This is gonna hurt:\: Only catch, you have to tell me why it's wrong so I can learn.

OK, people, me to. Set "people" off with commas since you are addressing them directly, same as if you said, "OK, Mike, me too." Add an "o" to the word "to" at the end of the sentence...too means "also."

Only catch, you have to tell me why it's wrong so I can learn.
The word "it's" is "ok"..since you are showing the contraction "it is". If you wanted to show the possessive form of "it" you would write "its" without an apostrophe.

"The dog made its choice" would not have an apostrophe.

After thinking a minute, that makes sence. Because the dog does'nt make "it is" choice, it makes its choice.8)
Tell me more of to and too, if you're so inclined.:)

Back