Don't Be Afraid!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just remember that too = also.

I bet AS or TB don't have a Grammar Thread, LOL.

Too= also. Easy8)
I would'nt know about AS, I cant go check till when ever April 1st is:)

OK, people, me to. Set "people" off with commas since you are addressing them directly, same as if you said, "OK, Mike, me too." Add an "o" to the word "to" at the end of the sentence...too means "also."

Only catch, you have to tell me why it's wrong so I can learn.
The word "it's" is "ok"..since you are showing the contraction "it is". If you wanted to show the possessive form of "it" you would write "its" without an apostrophe.

"The dog made its choice" would not have an apostrophe.
Good stuff, I'm learning a lot here.
That whole "set off with commas" deal is something I have struggled with.

I haven't had any formal schooling in english since college,and there I managed to get myself expelled from english classes for over a year.

I bitched loudly and often about them insisting that we learn british english and proper ( propaaah.....actually!) british pronounciation, while at the same time having us work on texts by american writers like John Steinbeck.
I finally managed to be a big enough nuisance, and they tossed me out.

Ironically, only two years later it was officially decided to let students choose between american and british english.

I did take the graduation examination in english and made a straight A,just to prove I could do it.

After thinking a minute, that makes sence. Because the dog does'nt make "it is" choice, it makes its choice.8)
Tell me more of to and too, if you're so inclined.:)

OK....first, though..."since" and

doesn't. The apostrophe takes the place of the "o" in not for does not...therefore, doesn't. Also, or too, you sometimes see folks write "ya'll" which I see as incorrect. Y'all is a contraction for "you all" -- the apostrophe takes the place of "ou".

Here is the "to - too" homonym explanation:

To is a preposition which begins a prepositional phrase or an infinitive...such as "to the store" which denotes location which prepositions often do (in the car, around the limb, over the stump, under the rigging)

Too is an adverb meaning "excessively" or "also"...such as "too many trees to cut"...and "I have to cut that one, too".

You are a masochist, bro!!! :lol:

Good stuff, I'm learning a lot here.
That whole "set off with commas" deal is something I have struggled with.

I haven't had any formal schooling in english since college,and there I managed to get myself expelled from english classes for over a year.

I bitched loudly and often about them insisting that we learn british english and proper ( propaaah.....actually!) british pronounciation, while at the same time having us work on texts by american writers like John Steinbeck.
I finally managed to be a big enough nuisance, and they tossed me out.

Ironically, only two years later it was officially decided to let students choose between american and british english.

I did take the graduation examination in english and made a straight A,just to prove I could do it.

Hahaha, Stig, I can just hear that..."propaaah"...great phonetic spelling of a British accent.

As far as I know, the words "English, British and American" should be capitalized.

"I finally managed to be a big enough nuisance, and they tossed me out." I believe the comma after "nuisance" is superfluous since no pause is needed (which commas are often used to interject).

If you wanted to say, "I finally managed to be a big enough nuisance, they tossed me out and I skipped merrily all the way home." then the comma would be necessary to break up the two independent clauses and then you use the conjunction "and" to add the last independent clause about skipping home (though some of these brawling tree climbers are going to look at you askance when you start skipping along merrily too much). :lol:

Check this page for examples: http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000069.htm

Failing to put "English, British and American" in caps was simple sloppyness from me, sorry.( or is that "sloppiness"?)

One thing that makes the whole "comma" thing hard for me is that the rules in Danish are quite different.

In Danish I would have put a comma after "hard for me" because it separates two sentences that are complete in themselves; having each a separate verb.
By the same rule, a comma should be put after "separates two sentences".

I don't skip much after my last knee surgery, but this thread could make me do it.

Bedtime for me, now. Goodnight to y'all:D

The apostrophe takes the place of the "o" in not for does not...therefore, doesn't.

I thought it was separating 2 words.:|: I think i can remember that.

To is a preposition which begins a prepositional phrase or an infinitive...such as "to the store" which denotes location which prepositions often do (in the car, around the limb, over the stump, under the rigging)

dog20watching20television.jpg

You are a masochist, bro!!! :lol:

It's a bit overwhelming, but I am learning and getting a little less lazy. Forcing myself to do capitals where I remember I should. Thank you, by the way

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f8fbrUjjivw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f8fbrUjjivw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I try to write like I speak. I think grammar nazism is a refuge for people who can almost write well. Writing is expression and English sucks in that respect... it's a dispassionate language for merchants and politicians.

So, sometimes, bad writing is actually really good writing if it expresses what the person wanted to get across.

As for commas, to me they represent a brief pause in speech, the elipsis represents a fatter pause... a moment for something to sink in. For instance, setting something off with commas like Gary was was talking about... it's a good rule but the purpose is to set off the phrase with brief pauses when speaking aloud.

If you strictly use parts of speech like building blocks you get mechanical prose... you can add flare by using and misusing them to create your written voice. My personal favorite misuse is weird contractions.

And for sure I use the edit function a lot.

All threads that i post in now;) Well, all threads that remember to capitalize:D {--- Theres a capital d in that smily face by the way;)

I try to write like I speak. I think grammar nazism is a refuge for people who can almost write well. Writing is expression and English sucks in that respect... it's a dispassionate language for merchants and politicians.

Hey, don't go telling a guy, who has had a 40 year long love affair with English, that his sweetheart is dispassionate and only fit for merchants and politicians!

I do not agree!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, I see that and would write it like that, but I don't really understand why I do it.

Back