Need some help with... where's the beef!

Sean probably has the most cost effective option for western red cedar. The size logs you are after will most likely have to come from an area where old growth logging is still happening. Keep us posted on how your search goes. Here's a nice load of wrc to keep you motivated. IMG_20201110_122955.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eastern redcedar (juniper) is maybe a weed.

(2) 4x4x8' western redcedar (thuja) posts was listed at around $60.
Seems there really are a lot of the 'eastern' just south of me.
But, the western and the possibility of a mixed load of what is out west has me working with the 2000 mile load.
I took a look at the Holbrook site with Google Earth.... looks to be lead, thanks again.
Holbrook Inc

Here's some cedar. Incense, Port Orford (2) and Red cedar.
I'm going to need more than a 52 inch bar for some of those, the pics posted look like a, 'square cut and hydraulics' day in the forest.
Hmm... 52 might work, who has the hydraulics?? ... lol

Sean probably has the most cost effective option for western red cedar. The size logs you are after will most likely have to come from an area where old growth logging is still happening. Keep us posted on how your search goes. Here's a nice load of wrc to keep you motivated.View attachment 113767
Motivated, yep it will take some time but I will get a mixed load done... click the green to see where Sean suggested.
Looks like the real deal.

Sorry if I missed it, but why does it need to be cedar? Is it for outdoor use? Eastern Red Cedar would be closer to home for you, but harder to find big stems, though perhaps cheaper/easier than getting a shipment from the west. It's an attractive wood, easy to work, and rot resistant.

Sorry if I missed it, but why does it need to be cedar? Is it for outdoor use? Eastern Red Cedar would be closer to home for you, but harder to find big stems, though perhaps cheaper/easier than getting a shipment from the west. It's an attractive wood, easy to work, and rot resistant.
Most around me in the Midwest are as you say... sourcing closer to home.
Around here or just south of me the red cedar is offered and some are using it along with buying the ole utility poles, cutting them down and making things.
I am just stuck on larger units of the older cuts from west coast, seems a good mixed load would give us stock that no one else has and yes, it would give them a chance to do some outdoor things.
Quite a few in sports bring some of their sport home, since this Ole Guy really is thinking boxing ring in the 'back yard,' cedar v steel would be a one-of-a kind. I'm just over 2.5 acres here I might put one outside just to see what the village inspectors say...lol, but one, a cedar ring will defiantly go inside the pole barn.

Why on earth do you need 22" minimum logs?
A few reasons... but the top few are.
For them to be able to create, 5 to 6ft wide 'tables,' with but two pcs of wood slab.
I believe the larger the cant, the better math favors us in sawmill cuts.
and though I have gone 'all in' for the athletes with this trade program...
My sawmill has only a max cut of, just over 22 inches.

Perhaps old growth of that size would be better served to remain as a viable tree in a forest? Maybe go for something a bit less in size and fulfill two ideals, preserve old growth and help the youth with skills transforming smaller timber into tables?

My thoughts exactly. It's a silly plan, boards that wide tend to move much more as well. Not only wasteful of large timber, but will likely produce an inferior product

Perhaps old growth of that size would be better served to remain as a viable tree in a forest? Maybe go for something a bit less in size and fulfill two ideals, preserve old growth and help the youth with skills transforming smaller timber into tables?
With all due respect to Mother Nature, and others opinions, from what I understand is that there are quite a few storage yards like Holbrook Inc across America with quite a bit of stock... already on the ground.
I would like to think 'Mum' would have some respect for those that not only value her beauty... but also her ability to help sustain everyone from the 'tree monkey' to the young athlete testing their skills both in training and life skill programs to the client that will cherish and value what is created from her parts that will be welcomed into the clients homes.

Granted opinions will vary, everyone is entitled to theirs.... but my opinion is... I believe she will be pleasantly surprised with the care she receives.

My thoughts exactly. It's a silly plan, boards that wide tend to move much more as well. Not only wasteful of large timber, but will likely produce an inferior product
Guy... I'm not trying to be a pain...but, lighten up and do the math.
Granted I will be doing some slabs... but with my mentioning that the mill will do just over a 22 inch width, I thought that some would just do the math.
Four units of, 2x6's in 22
Five units of 4x4's with enough for One 2x8, when planned out.
Fourteen units of 2x4.... with a 1x left
With my spiral 24 inch planer and the ability to mill making both horizontal and vertical cuts,
everyone can rest assured this Ole Guy will make very good use of every board foot.

I'm lightened up just fine pal. I just think your idea is silly. If you need 2x6 you don't need a 22" minimum log.

On occasion, after living 130 - 150 years they just get tired and lay down.... on a 120 year ole home.
Giving them a second life as materials rather than firewood... is the best we can do for Mother Nature.
This one had feeder roots the size of sewer tiles.
20210812_181356.jpg

And yes... all I take have a min base diameter of 22'' up to... fact is most are actually over 40 inches.
That one above is near 5 ft, these Oak below 40 and over.... we save some of these diseased or damaged and uprooted trees that are near 150 years ole from going up in smoke, some will be 40 to 48 inch end grain table top cuts... some will be other things.
Mother Nature likely likes the idea of living on rather that becoming an evening fire and then morning ashes.
20210518_131612.jpg

You’re a film-flam man,
All this young American athlete patriot guff, you’re after free wood for your tax dodge gym thing.
Somewhat amusing that anyone would think any outfit that buys and sells logs, Red Cedar and Fir, would give them to me for free...
It is equally amusing...
that anyone would think the truckers will haul for free 2000 miles to the Midwest, giving up that about $3.50 a mile they charge.

The ONLY thing, that is correct the only thing that I hope for 'for free,' would be a few more leads on honest quality west coast log suppliers.

You might try checking with logging companies.

Holbrook, Inc, in downtown Olympia, WA at the Port of Olympia is a log broker/ buyer-seller.
They might have (taking a wild, wild guess) 50-100,000 logs up to 40', aside from utility pole specialty logs, at the Port. Crazy massive piles. Loaded log trucks pulling in all day.
I did send off a contact to them this morning with info on what I'm looking for.
I expect I'm watercooler talk today, hope they contact me sometime over the next few days.
Thanks for the Holbrook lead.

Yep trees lean over and fall down, and become habitat trees and contribute to the web of life on the forest floor that helps sustain us all.
By all means go for the already harvested timber, perhaps leave the old growth to become ancient growth.
Good luck with your philanthropy, helping the youth to develop mental and physical resilience is admirable.

Why not do a massive one from Illinois? They have monsters here everyday.
Actually have already taken a quite a few few larger ones from around here... some over 40 and 50 inches.
Those are ready for cants cuts, slabs and more right now. Some of the smaller 30 inch Black Walnut will also be milled this year.

'Monsters' of a few varieties I have taken myself.
This is about... not being another guy milling those used cedar utility poles that are common here.
It is about our having a chance, to produce a quality of cuts and products from a larger cant, that the others milling down those used poles cannot match.

Back