Computer Geniuses?

OK, more specifically if I remember correctly: go to My Computer, on the left side I think is Disk Management. From there you'll be able to find the flash drive and an option to reformat it. Choose FAT32 as the formatting option. I guess that isn't very specific, but it's the best I can recall.

Cool. With that info I think I can handle it. Now I just need to go buy another thumb drive since I threw away the other one. :|:

Thanks Leon. I've never dealt with New Egg before but I've heard the name for several years. I assume they are trustworthy so I went ahead and ordered one. :)

Newegg is my go to guy when it comes to computers. Service is second to none. Very competitive prices. I have built 6 computers all from parts purchased at newegg. They are the Wespur of the computer industry.

I preach the same for my local store, A-power. :) dont forget, if its price, the store I buy from is in Canuckian dollars.

4 gig for $11 is a fair deal. Though with shipping is going to be another $6 bugs at least. I was just checking Amazon and 32 gig on the bottom line are going for around $45, up to over $100 with proprietary encryption.

Wait another 6 months and prices may drop in half.

In 96 I bought an hp cd recorder. At the time a little over $1000. Wow.

Jerry, the shipping estimator said $6 but when I went through checkout it was only $2.99. And that's going cross country. No biggie, I still get it delivered to my mailbox for under $15. The last one I bought was $20 for 2 Gig. :)

As far as booting; that is the drive that system runs off of, loads os(operating system). Then, it can see and manipulate other drives attached(cd, external hd, floppies, thumb drives etc.); but is not 'booted' to them, is not just blindly trusting that drive and running it's software etc. (unless autoruns is on). So, if main drive is suspect, boot to a cd, or to another drive-with autoruns turned off; so the suspect drive won't run anything in it's boot when you go to it. Then, get data off, scan for malware etc.

http://ubcd4win.com/. If sys won't boot to another os, hardware then is much more suspect, and trouble shooting takes a right turn into that direction. Usually this entails, stripping devices (cd, floppy, hd etc.)out 1 by 1; seeking something not working right, halting rest of sys.

Malwarebytes is very good for removal and has been suggested; they have a forum too to help. Also One of the last sections of MB forum shows 1 by 1 all the different things malwarebytes handles very well. The instructions for handling each are step by step, but all the same; plus sometimes other info on virus too. There are vids on all this on google and utube for booting to linux, bart pe etc. from cd and handling all of this. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=malware&search_type=. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ is very good forum too.

As far as thumb drives go; it is best to tell computer you are removing one by right clicking safely remove drive icon near clock. This will make sure nothing is (especially) writing to that drive/device. Because if it is writing when you remove thumb, you can screw up that thumb drive, because it won't be able to write to the fat table/ table of contents the disk locations were files are. Thumbs usually come formatted with fat16; because it isn't patented. Can google a hp formatting tool to help.

Also, i wouldn't recommend anyone using a thumb to extend memory like vista allows. Because, these flash devices in thumbs aren't the best/best; and will fail after so many writes- of which memory storage gets a lot; so pushes these devices to earlier failure.

2 computers can be connected through a router, through usb or a cross-over cable, if not ad hoc through wireless cards; many videos around on these 'basics'.

Many, many times i've seen were a cd drive seems bad- but isn't. Besides cables, and making sure is on in bios; it can be some added microsoft filters (kinda like secondary drivers) that need edited out of the registry. Real ms advocates refer to these things not as error, mistake; but rather politely as an "undocumented feature":|:!!http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461 after creating restore point.

I wouldn't know how to turn on a computer without the operating system automatically booting up. I can navigate the web but I'm clueless under the hood of my computer. It's weird having that gap in knowledge, because I'm very adept at mechanical stuff. But computers aren't mechanical to me, more like electrical (which is another of life's great mysteries).

Dude, many of these things aren't that hard, and in some ways are just survival techniques like jump starting a car, changing a tire etc. And, then there are step by step vids..

My first windows OS came on 6 floppies. I believe it was 3.1. And it included "Works" which was some really good stuff in its day.

funny, word processing, in works, was about as good as it is today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've resigned myself to having to pay someone to fix it. No biggie, people pay me to 'fix' their tree problems all the time. Let the pros do their thing.

My first home sys was a trs 8o with no hard drive(only a large 5 1/4" 1 side at 180k floppy for os and another for data), after punching cards in Fortran at a class in college. Fist pc was 10meg hd and dos 1.0 and promptly got a bootleg copy of dos 3.3 when it came out. First time i saw a mouse i thought it was a kid's toy and didn't want anything to do with it! Windows 1.0 was a black and white line drawing joke; that like dos could only run 1 app at a time.

wicked. I still miss DOS. I loved screwing around with the computers at Radio Shack. :)

10 print 'eat rocks'
20 x=x+1
30 if x<2000000 then 10
40 print 'suckers!'

nerd.jpg

nerd.GIF

Kingston thumb drive

RJS I have been using the Kingston ones for a few years and no pros, just acts like a portable drive: http://www.a-power.com/product-6015-0-3
I have a Kingston as well. It's worked well for me for a couple years now.

Here's a link to an American retailer. This is a cheap deal too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134818

Thanks again to Paul and Leon. Now that I have my fancy new computer (with all my old data saved thanks to Jason) up and running, I wanted to copy over the pictures I've saved on my laptop since June. This includes all the pictures from the West Coast Climb. The Kingston thumb drive was perfect, just drag and drop the files and it worked just like another Windows folder without a bunch of extra crap to wade through (NO, I don't want your proprietary program to process/change/organize/fix my pictures). It took all of about 4 minutes to move everything over to the other computer.
:D

Back