Computer Geniuses?

the non upgradeable stuff is what got me. I stick to the homebuilt machines now vs the proprietary schitt.
I had a guy build the two we are using now,about 500 a pop ,they do very well .AMD processors on both.Her's has 1 meg of RAM,mine two.Both have 80 g hard drives.

Glad you got it worked out, Justin. We'll call on you the next time one of us has a technical computer problem. :D

You guys want a new challenge?
My computer has slowed way down all of the sudden. XP.
Ran disk check and defraged. C drive half full. Safe booted and ran adaware and avg antivirus, nothing bad showed up.
What do I do next?

When I bought my newest computer, it had been a 'display model' and was the last one of that model. I had some issues with it running slow, making lots of noise and taking forever to reboot. I took it back in and they reset the bios and fixed a bunch of bios settings, now it's whizzing along just great.

I wonder if it could be a problem with the wireless router or the connection speed. Up until a week ago I could watch videos no problem. Now it downloads to slow.
I did a speed test a few weeks ago and it was 4.23 Megabits per second, now it's only 203 kilobits per second. I'm on cable.
Does that tell you anything?

Good, I glad you got it fixed. It's always something with the darn things isn't it?

I got a pop-up problem and spam infection that is driving me crazy. I do believe the people who make the anti-virus and antil-spam programs purposely put bugs into your computer to force you to buy their services and software.
Because the minute your subscription runs out, whamo, spam city. Can't prove it. Maybe I just paranoid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn that sucks, hope ya get it sorted. Frig these things are frusturating sometimes, glad I didn't smash it though.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice, help, links and what not. It's apreciated.

I was just kidding, Butch. Already did a restore and the problem persists.

Went to bed one night and left the laptop connected on line and when I got up in the morning the thing was like the midway at a carnival.

The geek that came to my place to clean out the gremlins installed AVG. It helped, but didn't cure the problem. Plus AVG is constantly updating while I work on line. and it slows the programs down.

Wish a simple restore would fix it but it wont. Something got in that wont let go. Deep in the registry

Ok homeys.

My compute is giving me some fits. IE works fine on my wife's side of the computer but notta on my side. Upon starting it up it will start to generate my homepage and then just freezes with the mouse/cursor showing the busy timepiece. Any idears? Also my quickbooks accounting program won't run on my side either apparently because it accesses the internet while running? Also when it freezes the little 'restore down' box beside the red X in the upper right hand corner 'unhighlights' like it's unavailable for some reason? Also if I go into tools and clear my history and delete cookies that works fine but when I try to delete files it shows busy forever and freezes up?

Any thoughts anyone on where to start?

So it's fubarred then? Can I unbug it somehow or best just to take it in to a pro?

New computer time maybe?

First thing is to figure out what kind of bug you have. I'm going to assume your antivirus is somewhat disabled as well? Try a manual AV scan first.

Can I try unloading and reloading IE itself or something like that?:|:

Everything non-internet related works fine on my side and my wife's side, which I'm on right now, works fine for everything.

I have a Norton the horton thingy on my computer. But I can't seem to make that damn elephant do anything.:D

You can try these as options.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Download under the wife's account, and run under your account, provided it is set up with Admin rights(can do software installs, removals, general system work in the software environment.

Also, do a scan after installing Avast and Malwarebytes, by booting into safe mode(hitting F8 on the keyboard). This will eliminate a lot of errant background programs from running while searching for what is causing your troubles

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ll/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true

try downloading and installing a different browser like Firefox, it might be the virgin of IE you have is screwy. uninstalling and reinstalling may help but try the different browser and see if that helps eh.

Back