Computer Geniuses?

Or disconnect your internet, start in safe mode and run which ever anti virus you have on your computer. Don't ask me how cause someone walked me through it last time. Twas easy but th only time I did it

I'm finding a few of my clients computers are getting something similar to this.

cybergeek23851 has given you some sound advice, worth giving a shot.

Sometimes if you have a nasty bug, it can rip the guts out of installers so they don't function properly. Try using something like ComboFix.

ComboFix is uber-lightweight, and will usually get you a finger in to start running tools like malwarebytes.

Switching to a browser like firefox is something REALLY worth considering, problem solving IE is a vexation to the spirit.

If you find combofix and malwarebytes don't solve your problem, I'll get you to post a 'hi-jack this' log. From that we might be able to see what is causing the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm still operating on the wife's side. Thanks for all the input. Angus I will try that combofix tonight.

The hardware is still fine. No need to buy a new system. At worst he might have to reinstall the operating system but buying a new computer is unnecessary.

Unless he wants one, of course.

I'd consider it, if I hadn't just bought an entire new bucket truck without having settled with insurance for my old one. :(

And being audited still, I'd almost forgotten how much I love shuffling papers.:(

restart your computer and press F8 right when it's booting up press it over and over again it will bring you to the boot screen where ou have the option to run you system in safe mode or start your system from the last known good configuration that worked. if you want to run virus soft ware boot your computer in safe mode if not you can start at the last good spot and hope fully it was before you caught the bug. I suggest you get avast anti virus it's the best on the market right now. you should run your virus software on your local drives with a through scan and if it finds something delete those files ASAP.:D

Slave the drive out to anther boot, by making another boot drive master, or booting to Linux Live (or bartPE). Then try to clean. If trying to run inside windows from own drive/ not slaved out some stuff will be running that could block, rebuild on fly etc. Safe mode is safest for this strategy; as less will be running. Other malware/virus tricks would be to not let you run known anti-malware apps. Then in that case, i would download the app on another sys, and rename it, then bring to your sys. Some of the newer malware can get around this by tracking by process thread name and stopping, instead of by file name and stopping. This is another reason not booting to the suspect drive is best.

Would always recomend backup- infected backup can be better than no backup. If can't beat, and can't get in, can also try a dual installation next to old win install, then boot to it, then get info off, then do real install. If malware is suspected and reinstalling for that reason, it is also wise to wipe out any partitions for diagnostics etc. that manufacturer places on drive, to kill any infections there. Also, recommend the non-Fast NTFS formatting for this. If not having to reinstall and get fixed; and sure everything is okay, recommend turning off system restore, boot, then turn it back on, to further fight reinfection.

Thanks all but no success. Computers aren't my thang.

Half of what y'all recommend I have zero idea of how to go about making happen.

I'm no genie-ass either. I read Kenny's post 4-5 times and I have no idea what he's talking about. I was lost from the very first word. I wouldn't know where to start as far as putting a computer into slave configuration. I can't even connect two computers sitting side by side on my desk.

Sorry bout your 'puter, Justin. I hope you can figure it out, or at least find somebody who can show you how to save your personal info before reformatting. :(

setting slave and master for more than one hard drive is essential and east, there is a jumper on the back of the drive that you put in one or the other position. Kenny had good ideas but I think unless you are a computer geek you wouldnt cypher it out. bottom line, new hard drive, new windows etc then hook up the old hard drive and try to pluck the critical data off it. if that doesnt make sense, the best thing it to take it to a pro and py up sucka. Not trying to poke fun at anyone but thats the bottom line. I have been programming / playing with computers since I was 11 in 1983, I understand most of what Kenny is talking about but I wouldnt try to explain how to do certain things to folks who just arent conversable about the issue.

If I understand Justin correctly his data or hard drive isn't corrupted, it's probably just infected or the operating system has gotten buggy beyond simple repair.

If that's the case, here's a relatively inexpensive and simple do it yourself option for getting things back up and running. First you'd need to buy an external USB hard drive. These are cheap nowadays. Here are some examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

Next, hook up the USB harddrive, and copy all of the data you want to save to it. Next put your Windows system disc into the computer and reboot. It's been awhile since I've used Windows but it should ask you if you want to repair the operating system or reinstall (depending which version of Windows you're using). You could try the repair option if it gives it to you. Otherwise reinstall the operating system, which will format the harddrive and start over from scratch, and should eliminate any problems you're having. Then copy all your data back over from the external USB harddrive. Then you could use the external drive to do regular backups of your data, which is a wise idea in any case.

EDIT: It would probably also be wise to do a virus scan on the external drive before copying your data back to your reinstalled operating system.

If you're only copying personal data files (i.e. documents, pictures, music, videos, spreadsheets, etc.) and not any program files then it should be OK. As far as I know these types of files are not where bugs reside.

Hopefully onc of the resident computer geeks can say whether or not this is a safe method to use. I have done it before when I had problems with a Windows system, and it worked fine for me. I am running Linux now, so viruses and malware are not much of a concern for me.

Another bug in the works is when your disc drive doesn't work. On both of my desktop computers, the disc drive quit working within the first year.

A couple years ago I bought one of those USB thumb drives to copy info from one computer to another. I must have bought the wrong brand because the proprietary software already on the thumb drive made it almost impossible for me to use it for what I wanted to do. All I want is an empty 'folder' where I can drag and drop stuff into it and then retrieve stuff from it.

Brian, just use Windows to reformat that little sucker and the annoying proprietary software will be wiped off. FAT32 is the best formatting system for those little flash drives.

Back