Climber worth???

Silverbackarb

TreeHouser
As I just stated in my other thread I have just contracted out to climb for another tree service that is taking care of the electrical companies tree work. I will be running my own crew that they provide. I will be using all my own gear, ropes and saws. What do you guys normally get that do this quite often? Day rate? Hourly rate?

Depends on a lot of stuff, at least $250 a day, but I know guys that push $400-$450 a day, but they also carry their own insurance on top of their skills, gear, saws, etc.

And it seems crazy, but the two I know, that are around $400-$450 a day, last I talked to them a few months back, they both had 100 or more days booked for the year already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya I carry my own insurance, have all the saws to run larger bars. All my own gear and ride. The only thing I'm not using o mine that is theirs is the bucket truck when there is the opportunity to use it.

Ive paid skilled climbers $250 a day. Bear in mind I dont live in a high dollar region. At this point in time, Id pony up $300 for a sub climber but they woulnt be doing BS work. Id be putting them to large/tricky/high dollar removals only. Where I came from and learned the business outside of Philly, $350 a day and up to $400. I never bea subs like slaves either. I laid out what I wanted from there for the day. If they had it knocked out by noon, good on them, and I still paid full price. I dont beleiev in penalizing them for good production.

I know demographics plays a big role in what we all charge for our time, but $250/day seems awfully low to me if you're supplying all your own gear and ride to boot. Let alone running a crew.

Timber fallers here are pretty much in the same pickle. In the 80's we were making 200/300 a day, and today it's still about the same rate everywhere. It just don't seem right. Some fallers do make more, least they say, but even so after taxes and all the inflated expenses a fellow makes about as much as a burger flipper in the end. And flippen burgers is a lot less dangerous. Though not as much glory in it. These are tough times for the blue collar worker. Real tough times.

I was almost 250 on someones payroll. Some days pulling weeds or runnings a felco pruner. Thats insulting for a contract climber imo.

I request double that, and am a regular for about three companies. Don't want to do more than that to be honest. One landscraper i get 5 bills for a half day. With my groundy. He loves it.

I was almost 250 on someones payroll. Some days pulling weeds or runnings a felco pruner. Thats insulting for a contract climber imo.

I request double that, and am a regular for about three companies. Don't want to do more than that to be honest. One landscraper i get 5 bills for a half day. With my groundy. He loves it.

A 3 man crew here is real lucky to do a grand a day here. No friggin way I could chisel off more then 3 bills for the climber, a bill or so for labor, fuel, taxes, and daily wear and tear. Connecticut and rural PA or two different animals. This area is considered a depressed area financially.

When I was a utility climber and clearing right of way I made about 100 bugs a day. One year, with all the overtime, I made 27,000 bugs. The highest paid foreman in the company that year. That was in 1984.

When I went falling timber I could make that much in 6 months and have the rest of the year off to fish and hike. Going to work in the woods, well at least at the time, was the best thing I ever did. I should have done it much sooner. 20 20

I pay top dollar for around here, I just add it to the estimate. Cost of doing business, my fellow who's been with me full-time for nearly four years lives a good life. My new guy is doing alright too. Pros or Joes the customer can make the choice.

I average 3 bucks an hour, maybe 4, more for a groundman then most of my competitors. Most guys around here give experienced groundmen 10 bucks anhour. I dont have the stomach to do that. My highest made $15 an hour.

Different markets. Up here the cost of living is high, so higher wages are the norm. Up here if a person isn't worth $20/hr plus they aren't even dragging brush for me.

I don't sub. Pay my guys a fair wage and cover with WC

Most subs I have seen dont last long.....a a ghost certificate will surely burn your ass in the end

Ya, I havent used a sub in years. Once my climbing skills developed, I was off to the races. I did hire a full time climber that starts tomorrow, but he isnt a sub.

Lucky you. Take some medication to mitigate stress in case he's horrible

Back