Climber worth???

I get 45/hr for me & my tools, subbing or not.
I am inexperienced in the subbing-world, frankly. Seems like these should be two different costs. In my figuring, I would charge more for my our business for myself/ tools, and less as a sub-contractor.

I guess I aim to make almost the same hourly out of my pick-up, as with my chipper and chip truck, as chipping rarely puts a log through a house (more risk for the climbing part, even without the extra overhead expense of chipper/ chip truck).

Ive already got anxiety.....

I was just funnin ya. Hey maybe he will be good, stranger things have happened!

I remember back in the day I hired this kid who said long story short that he was real good and real experienced. The more we talked the more he said all the right things about everything we discussed. So we started some jobs, easy ones. He looked fine on the easy simple ones, just the same way an actual good climber would look. Then we got to some more involved ones, no big deal but just more involved. I'm glancing at his progress from the bucket and see he is making a lot slower progress now, but whatever. Next time I look over he had knocked a massive flagstone chimney cap almost off the chimney top by hitting it with a limb. Turns out the kid knew absolutely jack shite beyond the very basics. I got snowed big time. We were able to squeeze the bucket in by inches and muscle the massive cap back into place (dry set, go figure). The BS artist hit the highway.

The only good experienced climber I ever found was from Guatamala. He was very good, safe, experienced, easy going, nice to work with. I paid him $25/hr for the couple years he was with me, this was 6 yrs ago. Then he wanted a raise to $50 as an employee on the books. I couldn't afford him then. He calls now and then to see if I have any work he could do….

I charge out $50.00 per hour or $350.00 per day me and my gear. Unless I bring in the chipper and mini.. Then I will add about 25hr while they run or about $200.00 per day more.
Small chipper though...

Thanks Jerry... Only subbed out to one company so far and he thought it a fair rate. I know we both made money.
Most companies up here consider me more expensive than they want to pay.

I've been bidding my jobs out at a flat rate, which has worked out to about $50 an hour. My truck, my gear, my saws, and risking my life to take care of your tree problems, I've never felt I charged anyone too much. . . But like I've said, I truly enjoy the work. :D

Chris when hiring someone to cut, focus on the result, not how they do the job. I find it easiest to not be around if possible. lol.

Very true. I've worked with a few cats who liked to nit pick every aspect about the job and make sure it's done their way. Gets super annoying in a short time. If the result is the same, in a similar amount of time or quicker, what's it matter how you get them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually do $40/hr here. Saws, rigging, climb gear, pickup. Flat rate for sketchy/irritating stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya I talked with the owner of the company. What happened was his climber that was running the crew climbed two trees last week and couldn't do much after. His knees are wore out. So he's in a punch and could lose the contract if he doesn't have someone by Monday. I came as a highly recommended climber and rigger. Gone through a lot of certs for rigging cranes and what not. He said he could afford more than 25 an hour. Thing is I know what he's charging a week due to an inside source as I did some investigating as I would like to make a proposal on that contract next year myself. He's charging 6,280 a week for the three man crew. There's per diem in there that he collects and doesn't pay. I've talked to the two ground guys that I've personally worked with a few times and they are really good workers, know what's going on and think to the next step all the whole busting ass. He says he can't afford more than 25 an hour! I'll be meeting with him on Thursday morning and will just tell him I have to have 40 bucks an hour for me and all my gear. If he doesn't think he can do it he will inevitably lose the contract due to there being no other climbers in the area. I wanna make something work so I have my foot in the door with the power company so when I throw a bid in next year they see I am an adequate climber that can work safely and get the job done no matter what it takes. But I'm not willing to let the experience make me lose money when I have to maintain all my saws, chains, ropes, and then factor in some type of hourly rate jut for me. Sorry, long post but I've been frustrated with the offer all day and watching all your responses be in the ballpark of what I was looking at makes it even worse. Thanks for the abundance of responses and discussion guys. This forum seems a little slow at times but you guys really gave me some quick, knowledgable answers that I really appreciate

It's really hard when you're up against cheap competition and dealing with ignorant customers. I feel for ya.

All my customers pay more than my sub rate Gerry. And most of those are repeat clients that refer more.
Sub work rarely takes more than my pick up, climb gear, some rope and saws. They usually supply ground labour or I get to just make a mess and go home.

I am inexperienced in the subbing-world, frankly. Seems like these should be two different costs. In my figuring, I would charge more for my our business for myself/ tools, and less as a sub-contractor.

I guess I aim to make almost the same hourly out of my pick-up, as with my chipper and chip truck, as chipping rarely puts a log through a house (more risk for the climbing part, even without the extra overhead expense of chipper/ chip truck).

I look at it more from the perspective of skills required +maint. cost. Chipping & stump grinding are higher maint cost but use a lower skill set in my opinion. I believe it evens out in the end as I still get my rate for running a rake too. I do very little chipping or clean-up the past few years with folks all seeming to want to keep anything over 2" dia. or to handle clean-up themselves.

There is also the question of whose reputation I am bolstering. If I am called in it is because they needed my skills to get the job done (read they couldn't handle it safely) so I don't lower my price to enhance someone else's business & referrals. Unless...I really needed the work or felt I wanted to do someone a favor to help them out.

A good groundie on the crew is worth their weight in gold.

And almost impossible to find.
Hour hunge is the norm around here at least in my dealings. They bring their climbing gear, insurance, and a vehicle I supply the rigging and iron.

Well fellas me and the owner finally came to an agreement. 25/hr for me, my saddle and spurs. He will be buying me all new ropes, pulleys, port a wraps and slide line. Oh and did I mention two new top handles and one 70cc saw of my choice. It sounds like the old climber neglected all the gear as well as neglected to tell him things needed replacing so he'd like to set the truck back up to my expectations because he then also offered to sell me the truck which is a 2001 GMC with 65' high Ranger on it with 24,000 miles and the Vermeer 1000 XL. He wants to finish this year out with the power company then start focusing on some of his contracts that are closer to home for him.

I hardly do any subby climbing now, but when I last did I charged $300 a day. When I did it every day it was nearer $250 a day, with the odd $500 day. I really earned the dough on those days though.

There's always someone younger, cheaper and faster. Get your own work ASAP, that's where any money that there is in this game lies.

True, I don't do any subby work now, and me and one lad plus truck chipper and mini loader do $1000 a day on average.

There's always someone younger, cheaper and faster. Get your own work ASAP, that's where any money that there is in this game lies.

Ya I just started my own company not long ago. Slowly getting all my gear put together. But this will give me the opportunity to say I've done the work around power lines as well as show the power company what I can do so next year when I put my bid in I am a legitimate candidate. It also gives me the availability of a chipper and bucket truck that have no company markings to use when I need one on my jobs. I think this will also bring in more work even with jobs I can't get to with a bucket just because it represents more professionalism.

Back