Paul Poynter aka WoodenHand. Webinar on two rope climbing posted on Educated Climber yesterday

Eric H-L

Treehouser
Thought some might be interested. I was. It’s a long video and I am just getting started. Paul is talking about using two climbing lines throughout the work climb, not because it’s mandated in UK— but because it makes sense for him. The part that got me interested was something that Lawrence Schultz said in his video series, The Schultz Effect: he said that he thinks of climbing like rigging your own body. Paul echoed this idea. Then Paul discussed one of the advantages to two ropes (and two climbing devices) is you can move from one side of the tree to the other while suspended. It clicked for me since I had just been reading up on span rigging.

I find the fly in the ointment to be either having to set two lines in two quite separate tips, or two adjacent trees, or when you want that nice triangulation you can't throw downward from a really great central high tip to the second tip because the second tip is equally as high as your primary tip. Enter throw line tricks, telescoping retriever poles or my favourite work your way out the second leader in bigger bites by using a deadwood branch as an in tree disposable DRT long lanyard rope end retriever. I'm talking prunes because if a removal just walk/spur your way up.

In the tree verse video he had an ideal low risk geometry with low forces. At times a hook is like temporary upward outward access , perhaps I recall Moss going over that topic before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I find the fly in the ointment to be either having to set two lines in two quite separate tips, or two adjacent trees, or when you want that nice triangulation you can't throw downward from a really great central high tip to the second tip because the second tip is equally as high as your primary tip. Enter throw line tricks, telescoping retriever poles or my favourite work your way out the second leader in bigger bites by using a deadwood branch as an in tree disposable DRT long lanyard rope end retriever. I'm talking prunes because if a removal just walk/spur your way up.

In the tree verse video he had an ideal low risk geometry with low forces. At times a hook is like temporary upward outward access , perhaps I recall Moss going over that topic before.
Yes, I still have not completed the video and I have very little real experience to draw from. From a few things he said and showed in the first 75% I watched I suspect (but don’t know) that he does place the two tips close together and then sets redirects to spread out the two lines. One reason Paul said he likes the unicender is it’s easy on/off when setting redirects. He also shows a customized doubled friction saver that puts the two tips at exactly the same point but allows remote retrieval even when the two lines spread out from there.
Here is something else I wondered about: having two redirected lines and two devices may give the climber a lot of freedom to drift his body downward to the “left or right”. But it is seems like freedom within one plane. Moving into another plane “forward and backward” seems to me would require different redirects or conventional limb walking both of which I gather he aspires to use less of.

You could add a long lanyard for the third dimension. It'll be kind of a clusterfuck of rope in the tree, but it would work nice with the right setup.

The video was more useful as an idea box to realign thought processes, rather than an explicit example of technique. A "This is a thing that can be done" to keep in mind when the right situation arises. Maybe people transition to use it all the time, maybe not, but it's something everyone can use on occasion. I had two ropes to do a limb on that maple I did. Unfortunately, it wasn't a case of forethought. I climbed up to the limb, didn't like my position for removing it(potentially in line of fire), came down, then clipped into the primary line I set for the rest of the tree so I could get myself higher over the limb I was cutting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You could add a long lanyard for the third dimension. It'll be kind of a clusterfuck of rope in the tree, but it would work nice with the right setup.

The video was more useful as an idea box to realign thought processes, rather than an explicit example of technique. A "This is a thing that can be done" to keep in mind when the right situation arises. Maybe people transition to use it all the time, maybe not, but it's something everyone can use on occasion. I had two ropes to do a limb on that maple I did. Unfortunately, it wasn't a case of forethought. I climbed up to the limb, didn't like my position for removing it(potentially in line of fire), came down, then clipped into the primary line I set for the rest of the tree so I could get myself higher over the limb I was cutting.
Absolutely love the way you re-framed the usefulness of this video. I don’t want to dominate the comments but I just watched the final 1/4 of the video. It was more of a discussion among all the participants and answers nuts and bolts questions about anchoring, establishing re-directs, teaching new climbers etc. etc. This last part would not have been possible without the first part, but it has the highest energy level.

Interesting vid, I'm part way thru it. I'd never heard o the guy but have now watched a bunch of his vids. Curious how he speaks english yet all the subtitles and printing are in Nippon. And also how he is aware of the importance and worth of simplicity, since his SRT vids generally look quite complex.

And whutta rabbit hole of Japanese treework vids, lotta big trees and felling and some different techniques. One such was using a doubled lanyard with no climb line when felling huge trunk sections, ala Graeme McMahon. I don't understand the point of having 2 lanyards that are deployed essentially as one, as in, they are running directly side by side, so if you accidentally cut one you probably gonna cut both.

Interesting vid, I'm part way thru it. I'd never heard o the guy but have now watched a bunch of his vids. Curious how he speaks english yet all the subtitles and printing are in Nippon. And also how he is aware of the importance and worth of simplicity, since his SRT vids generally look quite complex.

And whutta rabbit hole of Japanese treework vids, lotta big trees and felling and some different techniques. One such was using a doubled lanyard with no climb line when felling huge trunk sections, ala Graeme McMahon. I don't understand the point of having 2 lanyards that are deployed essentially as one, as in, they are running directly side by side, so if you accidentally cut one you probably gonna cut both.
Paul Poynter is from Essex, UK and moved to Japan a number of years ago. Thats probably why he speaks English.

I met him a number of times and he is extremely passionate about tree work climbing and in particular the Unicender.

Back