chip box project

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i got the welder in the bed last night and a friend stopped by so there it sits. maybe sat.

Outside=wind= shielding gas of MIG gets blown away leaving your liquid metal exposed to the atmosphere.

I used a friend's 110v wirefeed w/gas for a number of years. When I used it outside I put up plywood or tarps to reduce big winds. All in all, the wind was never a big deal though. After talking with a number of weldors and vendors they all agree that gas is better unless all of the welding is done outside in the wind.

The nice thing about wirefeed is that a cored wire can be used for outdoors then change out the wire and go back to gas. Great flexibility to cover different conditions.

ok here i go to do the brain dead part. fill in the gaps

haha, slow today so i am working on it, shouldve been done ages ago but i only get a little time here and there. nearly ready to sand blast!

12ga but i think you can go lighter. been to busy to work on it:dur:

Willie. Where did you get the corrugated steel sheets?

I want to make a dump box for the F350. This would serve as a back up to the Isuzu FRR I use daily.

Attachments

• F350.jpg
    F350.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 23
im actually working on it. had to send it out last week as the other one broke down. no chipping though! im working on the tailgate. hinges almost done, latch is next.
actually bought a dump bed i was thinking of putting on the dodge but i think ill put it on my trailer instead. worked on that a little tonight.
jamin, i had a local fab shop with a large break bend it for me

Nice truck Jamin, 7.3? You see my thread on 2-stroke in it, I love it!

Good to know Willie, I figured I'd order some aluminum yesterday considering prices will go nowhere but up. He's getting me a price on 5x10 sheet of aluminum, that ones got me nervous. Expecting 500/sheet. Luckily I can use the diamond plate off my current one for the front and the top, just need the sides. A new tailgate will be made to get rid of the heavy ass mason dump tailgate. It always scares me loading the mini on it when all the weight is on the chains. This is something I've been wanting to rebuild for a while now, sometimes I would love to just take the chip box off and run the mason dump only.

I'll start my own thread when progress starts, I'll let you shine.

Willie my cousin recently bought a plasma cutter and a pattern cutter. The guy that he bought it from is a friend of his son's and his wife is a veternarian in the Army and is being sent to Japan for a couple of years.

they are sweet! i have access to one but dont like to bother the guy very often.

I bit the bullet, picking up $900 worth of aluminum tomorrow, sheet and tube. The cutting will begin asap, and dropped off for welding hopefully in 2 weeks, I hope to be done within 4.

Just for futures sake, I was talking to the welder and he was telling me this sounds ridiculous, but use and Carbide tipped regular carpenters blade for cutting aluminum. We'll give it a shot.

works well, wear long sleeves and a face sheild. the chips are hot! need pics for sure!

Wax will keep the blades/grinding/sanding stuff from "gumming" up on aluminum. I just use caners wax you can get at the grocery.

Looking really good Willie. I wish I had time to do stuff like this.

Any chip truck I have ever had has always been older grain trucks with homemade tops puts over them and redo the back of them to be able to dump chips out the back of them and no tool boxes. Any tool box on a truck that hauls chips would be a luxury for me. It would be nice to custom fit a truck to work with.

Maybe some day it will happen:D

Back