CF Gecko's Worth it?

mccauleytree

TreeHouser
I have the aluminum gecko's now and absolutely love them and I know its crazy but I was thinking about buying a set of the CF ones. Do you guys think its nuts to buy another set? I would probably sell my aluminum ones if I got the CF but I am not really sure if the price difference is worth it? Opinions?

I like them but doubt I would ever pay full price for CF version. But then again i'm not one of those guys that notices myself being anymore tiered at the end of a day wearing heavy wescos over light asolos

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I usually don't get to hung up on gear but I really think those are sweet. I should have bought the CF ones when I bought the regular aluminum but of course I didn't and now 2 years later Im wishing I did.

Do this for a few days. Take note of how many times you actually look at your gaffs while working.
Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a pair too.

Light gaffs are nice. I went to the ti bucks with caddy pads from steel bucks with velcro wraps and I love the weight savings.

Do you have a extra set of gaffs already or do you just work with someone else who has their own? If not a extra set around for a AR kit is an excuse to buy new ones and keep the old ones too.

I must be one of the few people that doesn't get jazzed by the looks of cf, prefer steel. Comes from being a classic bike enthusiast, i think. Not that I don't respect the technology.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have an extra set of gaffs just my one set of aluminum gecks. Most of you guys make a lot of good points. I just don't know if its really worth it.

Backup set of gaffs...really?

I'd still have my steel bucks if I didn't get the aluminum ones so damned cheap. Not sure what carbon will get you, except a lighter wallet and a lighter tool box. :)

Cant argue with that.....its not a terrible idea to have an extra set for AR purposes, granted the rescuer isnt an idiot.....then it may be a bad idea

For me, the CF's are worth the price because my work often requires me to pack my climbing gear across the mountain side. I appreciated the change from steel Buckinghams to aluminum Bashlins, and I REALLY appreciated the change to CF Geckos.

Other than that reason, maybe not so much. When in actual use, I notice the light weight, but don't really think it makes all that much difference. I got the medium length, fit me fine. Just measure what you're wearing now, from stirrup to top of shank/pad.

They are cooler than the under side of your pillow, though. I still laugh when I pick one up...feels like it wants to float away.

I tried Willies pair this summer and loved them enough to buy a pair when I got home.

Us old guys gotta have some lighter gear, so we can keep up with the youngsters:lol:

Back