Camelbak Hydration System

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Does anyone have anything bad to say about this? I've never used one, but I'm thinking about buying one.

Here's what I think;

*Extra weight to pack around and bulky

*It will become tepid in no time.

*A PITA keeping it clean.

So, is all that true?

We bought some for the kids to use when we hike around. The opening to the water bag is pretty large - you can easily add ice to keep the water cold longer.

The weight should be minimal - a gallon is about 7 lbs and these don't even hold a gallon.

The ones we bought have storage, so they are a little bulky, but I think they make some that fit flush with your back, so shouldn't be too bad.

Cleaning? Not sure, we've never cleaned ours.

Hmm. Yesterday I went on a hike with mine, and I just can't see it being that good for tree climbing. They have ones that are just a bladder, not storage like mine has, but it would just be too bulky. For climbing I have an aluminum water bottle with a carabiner slot on top. Hang it on your saddle and good to go.

Keeping it clean is the biggest PITA item in my opinion. It's one of those things that's cool for the first week or two until you forget it and leave it in the truck for a few days and it turns rank.

I prefer buying the grocery store labeled bottled water (it's stupid cheap) and throwing a few in a cooler with ice every day. It's cost effective because it keeps me from going to the 7-11 and buying Gatorade or sodas for almost $2 a pop.

Keeping it clean isn't a big deal unless you do like Brian says with something other than water. Even then it's not killer hard to get clean again.

I used to climb with one on the hottest days, but I'd empty it long before the tree was done. (1/2 gallon)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
but I'd empty it long before the tree was done. (1/2 gallon)

Another concern of mine. I assume I'll get the biggest (100oz) one they have.

I prefer buying the grocery store labeled bottled water (it's stupid cheap)

And it's even cheaper to drink filtered tap water. I've never bought water in my entire life and I plan to keep it that way. Buying bottled water = insanity. Besides, who ties it on when you're working alone? Many times I'll trim all by my lonesome, hence my query.

Cleaning? Not sure, we've never cleaned ours.

That seems kinda ... odd.

Concerning the "storage" aspect, how are you supposed to reach around and use it????

I've never been in a situation where I was climbing alone and was in the tree long enough to need a water break.

These days I simply move the little handle and swing the bucket down to where I can reach in the cooler on the back of the truck. ;)

It's like a backpack, take it off to store stuff.

I have 3 (I think), my biggest 2 hold about 1.75 or so gallons. When I hang them in my Phantom pack that'll last me the day (competition rifle matches) but they're is considerably less exertion.

The main time I found it extremely helpful (a single bladder) was when I was doing security around the stadium. I got a well insulated bag and liner, and refills weren't overly hard to come by.

That seems kinda ... odd.

Concerning the "storage" aspect, how are you supposed to reach around and use it????

I thought you meant the outside of the system. We rinse the bladder periodically, but if all you put in it is water (no sugar), mold isn't an issue.

There's a tube that hooks over your shoulder and onto the shoulder strap, so it's easy to get to.

Try one MB, I think you will like it. Like James said, the opening is large enough to put ice cubes in it. A couple of years ago, I bought a bunch of them for the guys and they used them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never been in a situation where I was climbing alone and was in the tree long enough to need a water break.

I do it a lot when trimming. I'll get the address, go start the job, and the crew will arrive later, after I have some brush on the ground.

Campmor, Camp Shelby, and www.eberlestock.com (not applicable for your needs).

Camelbak has the Omega opening (large mouth). One bladder I have has a fully open top that you fold over and pin, supprisingly leak free.

They don't hold that much and refills are a PITA. But for an hour or so, they'd be fine capacity wise (for me). If you wear it the whole time the mouth piece gets dirty, but that's mind/matter.

In your situation I think you could make very good use of a Camelbak Butch.

I brought the Camelbak in the tree for a while, but a couple things that didn't work for me were...

Using a 5 gallon water jug with a few water bottles is easier for the crew and I to use.

If I am in a tree for a long time I bring the water bottle with me. I just use a nalgene bottle and clip it right on.

I do a lot of Honey Locust trims and they can be a huge pain in the ass to move around in when they have been neglected. The branches will catch the Camelbak and fight me every step of the way.

Last reason is that I sweat a lot and having it on my back only makes it worse for me lol.

I do use them for many other things, but for me personally using the water jug is just a better option for tree work.

MB, how much water do you drink per day when you're working?

Just curious.

Back