Camelbak Hydration System

Yep, yep every summer! It's a dry climate here and on heavy climbing days (6+ hours aloft) in the heat of summer it's brutal so I can't even fathom how it is down south.... phuck that!!

The bottom line is consistent hydration is an absolute MUST when you're sweating like a pig.... so do what ya gotta do. End of discussion.:P

:D

Pigs don't sweat :drink:

I'm not the least bit worried about hydration during the cold season.

You should...be a bit anyway!

I was on a trek in New Zealand, we stopped at a rest hut at like 3,000metres, it was a cold day and the hut was crammed with hikers, stopping for a brew. You could see the steam coming off everyone after they took off their rainwear and outer layer...visible evidence of water leaving the body!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ordered the largest bladder Sherril offered, the Ambush. It knocked a hole in 100 bucks, but I don't need the storage pack. I'll probably cut it off.

Cool.

I am looking at that one right now. Got a little dehydrated the past 2 days on some long climbs. The humidity has been really bad here of late.

Ya it was only 80 here today, But with 93% humidity the real feel was 96 at 9 am It didn't drop till after lunch and I was soaking wet by 1030.

Not looking forward to when it gets hot here. I dread it worse every Year.

I could've used one today. Heat wave is on, I felt a little dizzy at one point today, bit of heat stroke I think.

That's the secret! Steady, constant hydration. If you wait until you're thirsty, then it's too late.

Oh, I know. I drink a buttload of water and I usually start as I'm driving to the worksite. When dehydration hits it's to late, performance is already starting to lag.

I go through a fair bit of water in the warmer days, being that I am on the ground most of the time my camelbacks stay with my hiking/camping gear. I have found that adding a powdered supplement to the water helps me not get crampy or heat stroked on those longer days. I use Squincher most of the time but Gatorade powder can help too. and maybe a few salty chips for a snack. :)

This arrived today. It appears to be most excellent! Way better than the $20 walmart virgin I road tested.

ambush_wo_jpg.jpg

putting items other then water - you have to clean it out more often. I have heard the crystal light is pretty good. Hiked 8 miles in 91 degrees on sunday and emptied my 2 lt. they are great

I've been told that repeated exposure to dehydration can have lasting effects, especially in ones ability to tolerate the heat. I used to get dehydrated a lot at work when I was just out of school. I can't take the heat (such as it is here) at all anymore. I go through about 2 gallons in the hotter parts of the summer per day.

Well, after a few climbs I've come to the conclusion that the 3 liter Ambush model I bought is just too fricking big and heavy! It weighs in at 8 lbs and it's kinda bulky. And I've decided I don't need three liters. So, now I'm going in the opposite direction with this. It's half the capacity, half the weight, and 1/3 the price.

So how do you like having water constantly available??

It sucks. :|:

Well hell yea I like it! :lol:

Like they say, if you wait until you're thirsty then you've waited too long. I's fun freaking people out by talking into the mouthpiece like it's a microphone. :evil:

Only water for me.

Just make sure to replace electrolytes somehow. I used to do only water and wound up with the worst cramps of my life, my whole body locked up after a day of topping pines in 98 degree heat. I was packing up and just seized, all I could do was lay in the grass and try to relax, took an hour before I could stand. Heat exhaustion combined with cramps, it was rough.

Next day I was back doing 18 more pines but was loaded for bear with nanners, diluted gatorade, extra salt... the groundie brought some killer BBQ pork chops for lunch... much better day. Salads are good for reducing the chance of heat exhaustion.

Just make sure to replace electrolytes somehow.

You're preaching to the choir, brudder. But I hear ya. When it gets really hot I make sure I dump a lotta extra fake salt, potassium chloride into my meals.

I thought that salt was old 'technology' and that it is no longer advised? Didn't the military discontinue the use of salt tablets?

Back