Camelbak Hydration System

I have a camelback which has no storage pockets just a plain bladder with shoulder straps.
It fits snugly and doesn't catch on branches but the tube can catch on things.
It is a hot spot on my back tho.

I read an interesting thing about dehydration.
The way your body loses the most water is through your throat as you breath in and out. So keeping your throat moist helps alot from getting dried out.

But, for just getting some water down, nothing IMO does a better job than chugging water from a jug.

It is rare for me to wear it in a tree. I usually use it on rec. climbs where I will be in the tree for a long time.

I really appreciate mine since I work alone. Clean is no issue since all I put in is water/ice. When the temps are up I fill mine with mostly ice-just enough water to melt off the sharps. The dregs may be tepid by noon But I refill with ice again and have cool water for most of the day. Sipping often works out to be more efficent than chugging. Climber no sloshey.

I'd like to read that article.

Just corrected by my most intelligent wife :lol:

Keeping your mucus membranes wet is vitally important. Breathing loses water as a result, but in terms of volume of water, sweating is the fastest way to lose body water, breathing comes in second.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha, I knew that but I was just being my usual polite self. ;)

Well, I thought I'd want the largest bladder (100oz), but it appears those are the most bulky what with all the storage crap, which I don't need. It seems the 70 oz model is the most streamlined.

I'm a true believer. I almost never climb without one. I use a Camelback basic 70oz in the summer and 40oz in the winter. No pockets or padded straps and I cut the tube down a little to keep it from flopping. I don't think I paid over $40 for either one.

When it gets rank just rinse it, then leave a weak clorox/water solution in for a few minutes, rinse it again and let it dry. If you need it fast just rinse really well.

I use gatorade diluted with water most of the time. If you keep an igloo on the truck then you can pack it with ice right before you go up and it stays cold for an hour or so.

My biggest complaint is the bite valves fall off if you don't keep an eye on them and they cost $6 a pop.

Hydration is good.

I used the quite a bit as a jarhead but never when climbing......now ya got me thinking:/:
When they first came out it was one of those "why the heck didn't I think of that" things. They ARE handy but there are two major drawbacks that I found. The first is cleaning them it is a PITA! Good luck trying to clean that drink tube (I think they now make a brush/cleaning kit thingy for that now) My advice is to NEVER and I mean NEVER put anything but water in them. If you put something else in there other then water and even if you empty it the residue remains and if it sits for a while then you fill it up and drink it you'll feel like you just got back from a trip to Mexico! Don't ask how I know this :/:
The other minor problem, as others have said, is it makes a "hot spot" on your back.

Yep, yep every summer! It's a dry climate here and on heavy climbing days (6+ hours aloft) in the heat of summer it's brutal so I can't even fathom how it is down south.... phuck that!!

The bottom line is consistent hydration is an absolute MUST when you're sweating like a pig.... so do what ya gotta do. End of discussion.:P

:D

I wear a 70 oz camelback everyday through the summer. I wouldnt think of not using it. I too just put water in it so dont need to clean it. Seems like after every cut I make I take a sip, constant hydration really improves your performance. The only problem I have noted is come fall I find I have to pee a lot:|:

Do it buy a 70 oz, you wont regret it;)

I really start to chug down liquids when the temperature heats up, and notice that I seem to want to drink a lot more than the people I may be working with. I wonder if that is a good thing?

Frozen bottles of hydration drink kept in a cool box works good for me.

well for me it worked for awhile but @ 110 degrees every day they really like to mold over night. so its just easier to leave a gallon jug a few palms ahead

I have one (not an actual Camelbak, some other make) got it for about $30...it's a 1.5 litre, with a little bit of storage.
The straps are all mesh.
I've only used it once on a Big takedown where I was up the tree for 5 hours ( got lunch sent up on a rope) I have to say it was great, being able to sip a little, more often, was better than stopping for a big gulpy drink (what was that, climber sloshy someone said!) I barely noticed it was there, very comfortable.
The bite tube stays cleaner than taking the top off and on a bottle with grimy sweaty gloves...

I have two - one is just a bladder in a thin pack with the strap. the other is a winterized pack with storage. the water tube is covered with foam so the tube does not freeze.

that is great in the summer as that padding keeps the water cooler. I fill mine with ICE when i climb or bicycle ride. it takes a little to get use to in the tree, not adding weight but bulk.

I only fill mine with water. they are easy to clean, just empty, rise and prop open. I take off the mouth piece and just scrub. all items are air dryed.

I do find them easier they hauling a bottle up on my harness or asking someone on the ground to send up water. I have it with me.

I always thought the insulated tube was for summer, not winter.

One tip that reminded me of was when you get done drinking, blow air back in the tube to keep the water in the tube from becoming piss warm.

my pack is a CamelBak's Scorpion Hydration Pack, fully insulated tube and carrier helps keep the water flowing on cold winter days. OR as you say, cooler in the summer. that hint about blowing back into the tube is A GREAT HINT. it is hard to warm a tube up in 20 degrees to get the water back flowing. (ha ha)

Back