chipper odds N ends

WoodCutr

Treehouser
late night thinkin here, been working on my chipper (2002 BB 250XP, 115HP cummins)
the turbo wont build enough boost to open the wastegate, perhaps clogged air filter? I try to knock it out once a week, but even once every day or two seems to still have a nasty filter element, thinking of re locating the filter down to somewhere lower/further back, maybe down by the fuel tank
turbo seems really good/no shaft play, id like to get a little more boost out of it to clear up some black smoke and bogging down under load

hydraulic pressure spec? mine is an autofeed model (autofeed doesnt work), if I remember it should be 2400 PSI on the relief valve (adjusted at the reversing valve), am I remembering right?

anyone do anything special for hooking their chippers up? I use a spotter and its a pain in the ass to hook the chipper up 4-5 times a day, maybe get a wireless backup camera for the chip truck?

more questions to come im sure, not new to owning or running a chipper, but never really thought to ask these questions
also, if anyone remembers my post about using the chipper winch for a speedline, I dont do that, seemed like a great idea till it seemed like a bad one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like you need to be more religious on buying an air filter. Not just "knocking it out.". See if you can score a pre-filter and oil it.
Also check and see if your waste gate is bound up with soot.
wastegate opens if I use a prybar (could pull by hand if it wasnt bolted to the turbo, should pull it off anyways and check it)

if I bought a filter for it every time it got dirty id have to order a truck load every month!
I try to remember to blow it out with compressed air every few weeks as well
ya know what, im gonna go knock both air filters out real quick before I get in a hurry tomorrow to beat the crane to a job

Back up camera, new filters more often.
whats your backup camera setup?
it seems yall want more new filters! what do you think if I move the filter housing tube thingy down by the fuel tank away from most of the dust, go up a size on intake tubing and maybe not have the air filter problem so much?

They came with the trucks.

Air filters will get plugged up no matter where they are, brand doesn’t matter or location. Blowing them out daily will help them last longer but even doing that they will still get plugged up eventually. I try and not run a blower around running machinery of any kind.

I know they get plugged over time, tis how they function, however moving it from ontop of the engine to behind it would get close to another 3 feet from the dusty end of the machine, huge difference in dust level (what ive noticed anyways)

just checked, $48 for that filter, I suppose it wont hurt to replace it anyways, I just gotta keep a note of how it performs
also since my autofeed doesnt work, my tach doesnt either (wiring harness to the coils on the back got cut, im not sure if thats the only issue) so no hour meter, sucks when one day might be 12 hours chipping non stop and the next might be 30 minutes, so going off days and weeks isnt a great scale of time really
IDK, maybe im over thinking things and should just replace the damn filter, I suppose the bandit engineers know how to build a chipper better than I do
how many hours do you guys get out of a set of air filters roughly?

Isn't there some prefilter commonly used?

You can get a vibration activated hour meter. Travel might run up the clock.

Definitely get a camera.

Add a dust bowl.

I wonder if a shop vac model of the Oneida Dust Deputy would help.

A backup camera is a huge help, but at least putting feelers or something that sticks out so you can see the chipper in the mirrors helps. You just need to align them such that you have a reference point stick out the same amount as seen in each mirror when the chipper is straight. That way you can see when you are centered, and just feel with the hitch. If the chipper is turned, you learn to compensate. I don't find it all that bad. Backing up a pickup to a trailer is worse because I don't want to tear up the bumper and plate when feeling for the trailer.

Isn't there some prefilter commonly used?
yeah, the big round thingy!
I suppose I have my terms wrong, there is 2 filters, big outer one (pre filter?) traps 99% of the dust, middle filter traps very little if any

I would think that the filter would clog quickly considering the amount of dust made from chipping, but I find that there often comes a point where the filter doesn't seem to get any worse. I can bang out a filter weekly and get lots out, or neglect it for months, and the filter intake pressure tester never goes past half way, so maybe you have a really good filter.

Certain things can cause quick clogging: oil, maybe sappy dust too. Oil is best used on a coarse foam filter, otherwise they clog very fast. It is possible that some sort of starting fluid was used on the chipper that coated the filter with oil, in which case the filter needs a thorough cleaning with detergent, or just replacement.

im not really thinking the filter is the issue causing lack of boost, possible but im thinking something else TBH, it doesnt seem to open the wastegate even with the intake taken off
yes, the wastegate does move just not on its own, have to manually open it, it had a loose flex hose from the turbo to the intake manifold, put a hose clamp on it and hasnt made a difference
turbo spins free, you can hear it spin for a while after shutting the engine off

Last edited:
The black smoke could be from dirty injectors. Try running a lot of fuel system cleaner through it.
perhaps better combustion will help power too!
engine runs like a top, fires right up in 1-2 turns even after sitting for a month, I have a starter solenoid going out that I gotta go fix tho
that do you for injector cleaner? ive done ATF in multiple different engines with exactly zero noticeable difference, also heard 2 stroke oil as a diesel additive but dont remember what for

For an older motor running a quart of ATF per tank and a gallon mix bottle of cheap two stroke oil will work. Older Cummins the injectors could be worn at the tip.
2002, meter read 3000 something hours if I recall, when I got it to work long enough to check but who knows if thats right or not
possibly injectors, most of the smoke is throttling up (I just take the throttle right to WOT, so it does throw more fuel to it than it needs)
still a little smoke on startup and heavy load

Just throwing it out there, could new fuel filters make a difference?

Some filters when they are dirty will shut you down while others will just dampen performance

Just throwing it out there, could new fuel filters make a difference?

Some filters when they are dirty will shut you down while others will just dampen performance
inline from the tank and the can on the pump are new along with the water seperator
only ~100 hours on them, we ran it low on fuel on a hill and picked up some crap from the bottom of the tank and plugged up the filters to the point it wouldnt make power unless you pumped the primer by hand, I ran it for 2 days pumping the primer to finish up 2 jobs, after that I replace the filters at the first hint of anything wrong, for less than 20 bucks its worth it

I don't know if ATF cleans injectors, I've just heard it lubricates them, important in older engines when using low sulfur fuel. Seafoam at the regular or double dose for diesels should work well. Techron, Royal Purple are also good, and I think Gumout may have a good one.

I used ATF in my fuel for 10 years on my old bucket truck. It had 18,000 hours on it when I sold it. It purred at an idle unless you forgot the ATF in the fuel for a couple months, then the tapping came back. Another shot and it was quiet again in 1-2 days.

And yes, you could have already changed out the fuel filter instead of agonizing over it for the past few days. Once when I got a bad tank of diesel I changed my filters 4-5 times in 6 weeks before it finally stayed running good again.

I don't know if ATF cleans injectors, I've just heard it lubricates them, important in older engines when using low sulfur fuel. Seafoam at the regular or double dose for diesels should work well. Techron, Royal Purple are also good, and I think Gumout may have a good one.
It cleans them. It’s not an instant result but will work.

Back