caddy pads

take a wrap with the lower strap on the leg iron, about ankle high.

The problem that I see with taking a wrap around the shank is it's pretty hard to tighten the portion of the strap behind you ankle...it won't slip around the shank very well, so you actually end up with an overall looser fit imo.

Plenty of people like doing it though, so if it works for you, go for it :).

No, I didn't mean it like that, my mistake. I was saying that I preferred the non steel insert velcro wrap pads. I still prefer caddys over the wraps, but I'm itching to get the carbon fiber geckos.

Ahhhh...gotcha. I too would like to give those a whirl...thought I had a pair lined up through a little back door bargaining for instructor services this past spring, but that fell through. Might still pan out though.

The problem that I see with taking a wrap around the shank is it's pretty hard to tighten the portion of the strap behind you ankle...it won't slip around the shank very well, so you actually end up with an overall looser fit imo.

ur right, the straps aren't easy to get tight. i know if i get in the 4th hole im good. i feel like i'm standing on stilts without that wrap. the climber moves front to back alot and i'm not as accurate setting the points so i spend alot of time looking at my gaffs to make sure im good, where with a wrap i seldom even give it a thought, much less a glance til it starts getting small. it works for me anyway

I've never done the wrap thing, but it'd guess the back of the strap doesn't move. What I was pondering was if the front strap pushes the ankle/leg into the back strap, getting it tight all around.

I do the wrap thing, and I rock my foot back and forth as I'm pulling the strap tight before buckling it. That gets the strap tight around the heel as well as around the front.

i feel like i'm standing on stilts without that wrap. the climber moves front to back alot and i'm not as accurate setting the points so i spend alot of time looking at my gaffs to make sure im good, where with a wrap i seldom even give it a thought, much less a glance til it starts getting small. it works for me anyway

Seems like what you need is a pair of good linemans boots.
Since I started climbing in Wescos I havent had a spur come loose, whereas in the German Meindl Waldlaufer boots I used before, the spurs would be shifting all over the boot, driving me nuts.

i've worn red wings boots since i was old enough to know the difference. i think red wing has been in a downward spiral for the past 5 years. their quality just is not what it once was. i'm trying to get the last little bit out of these boots before winter. wesco will probably be the way i go but i just dont think im highliner material. a nine inch lineman's always be ok for me but im open for suggestions

The wrap around the shank, I pull the strap tight as heck to where the buckle thing just pops in. I had a heel on a boot loosen up before when the shank had some movement.

If you don't wrap around the shank, how else do you do the strap...perpetually confused here.

Always a wrap here, never any probems getting the strap tight enough. Helps to hold the climber firmly in place imo.

Plenty of people like doing it though, so if it works for you, go for it :).

I only take a wrap when I'm wearing hikers rather than lineman boots. It helps keep the lower shank under the heel. And the strap can be gotten plenty tight, just work your ankle all around whilst itghtening the strap.

Back