Burl Bandits

OTGBOSTON

punk in drublic
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...-from-trees/u534FdGcrbBcFq6DmXBpIN/story.html

Last spring I started to notice burls missing from trees in our park system. At first I didn't think anything of it, I figured it was the work of wood turner looking for stock. As the summer went on I started seeing it everywhere, then I got calls from tree wardens in surrounding towns. I alerted my boss' to the situation and we issued a press release to make the public aware of what was going on. The newspaper did a story on it that came out Wednesday morning, by 9:30 I had found one of the guys in a park with a chainsaw (after getting a call from a consulting arborist/friend who was monitoring our elm beetle traps). By 10:30 two bad guys were in handcuffs!

Greg, not bad at all. I can't imagine them thinking that they could get away with it for very long. A chainsaw isn't exactly a stealthy device. Being a woodworker, I can minutely sympathize with the crooks. I would have spray painted the cut off burl faces to match the bark, then it wouldn't be so noticeable. :/:

Jay, don't do it!!! I see you being tempted by the dark side. Understanding the dark psyche is the beginning of temptation by the Dark.

Stay with us, boy!:lol:

I hear that around here, for poaching 'music wood', figured bigleaf maple, mostly, that people have muffler hoses run in to buckets of water.

I would like to see a "muffler hose" ran into water!

I bet those burl bastids leave big nasty wounds on mature trees, ugh.

Guess they havent seen the newer lithium battery powered chainsaws.

That is an interesting point, Gary, and one to watch out for. If you used to read the old superhero comics, there were issues where the fighters for justice couldn't resist the temptation themselves to have a fling on the other side. I think it could be within us all a little, except perhaps the folks at Dot Palm Landscaping.

My wife found an article about it last night and I couldn't believe they got caught that fast. Nice job all around and good eye by Norm. Smart move not messing with them either... methheads with chainsaws = baaad

Those kind of people who would do such a thing to our park and heritage trees. they deserve the max prosecution the law allows and then some.

Up in Prairie Creek Redwoods recently some one drove along the parkway one night under the cover of darkness and cut burls off some of the most magnificent trees. Just like in your video. What a terrible thing to do for such a small personal gain.

BAD!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My wife found an article about it last night and I couldn't believe they got caught that fast. Nice job all around and good eye by Norm. Smart move not messing with them either... methheads with chainsaws = baaad

I honestly didn't think they would get caught..let alone I'd have the chance to be there and confront them. The guy in the vid doing the perp walk was the one with the saw. I was able to confront him and get in his face. He bolted when I told him the cops were on the way. The second dude hid and I was with the cop as he went through his belongings and eventually arrested him way back in the gardens, it was like being in an episode of cops!

There was a third guy who got away, description is red hair and a white pick up truck. Several reports have come in about this guy being the actual burl stealer..

I can't see the enjoyment in working wood that resulted in mutilated trees. It surprised me that at least one guy was making things from it, not just after money by selling it.

... for the woodworker there are plenty Burls that can be purchased legit. Local loggers and Arborists would be plenty willing in most cases to handle Burls as an artist raw material... from Trees that are coming down anyway.

There was a third guy who got away, description is red hair and a white pick up truck. Several reports have come in about this guy being the actual burl stealer..

Ginger in a white truck. Got it. :)

Seen anything on the mall at all? Or any indications the guys they nabbed will roll on him?

Back