Black Walnut Value?

Yeah I built it. First thing I have built. 30x 48 workshop with 8' concrete slab with 1600' radiant heat tube with a 14x48 appartment upstairs. The shop has doors on either end so I can drive the truck and chipper in close the doors and then out the other side. 12' cielings so I can get the knuckle boom in.When I drew up the design for this I was single so was going to live upstairs however now 4 of us would be a litle cramped AND the county wont give me my occupation permit as the 8x12 solid oak beams arent GRADED so arent sufficient for the 12' spans (man I hate government). I have a mill, a lathe , drill presses, arc,mig and tig so when I get bored in the evenings I go tinker in the shop.

I have 2 more devisions on the property so am going to put a rustic cabin in the woods and want to do a 3 bed subterrainian, passive solar house with a post and beam roof structure. I am currently milling 12x18 oak timbers for that. Im trying to get UVA archetecture dept to take it on as a class project so that they can sign off on the timbers and get the county off of my back about the grading issue. If that dont work my wife may take a class to become a certified hardwood grader (softwood is way harder to get).

It pisses me off that everybody wants to recycle and be green but for some reason they cant see that this IS RECYCLING AND BEING GREEN!!!!

When I drew up the design for this I was single so was going to live upstairs

Thats what I want to do. I dream of a barn and living on top. Have enough property where I can then eventually rent out above the barn, and build a home.

I am reallllllllllly impressed by that building, nice work!

No its not all oak, I used oak, beech pine ash poplar hickory with black locust pegs. I wouldnt use poplar or ash again as they check so bad, which doesnt effect the strenght but looks like ass. Upstairs floor is all oak.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 6
yeah we milled the wood with a wood mizer and yes big timbers are more prone to splitting than boards as the outer dries way quicker than the center. The whole process of timberframing was very gratifying to me but finishing up all the details has eluded me, now that the shop is functional Ive stop making progress.

I milled a couple thousand board feet of white and red oak on a buddys WoodMizer. It was a manual and that is a lot of work. I told him after he bought it I would have got the hydraulics and I think he ended up agreeing with me.

This has been a really interesting thread.
Awesome work, PCTree !
Squishy, a thought occurred to me : I wonder if you might have luck selling it to Amish woodworkers ? They're not exactly generous with $$$, but you could barter or something ? Just an idea.

Seeings how that structure is all or mostly oak and pinned it will likely last a couple of hundred years if your great grandchildren keep a good roof on it .

Graded lumber,what hogwash is that ?:what: Politics at its' finest . Fine job though even if the county doesn't like it .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Squishy, a thought occurred to me : I wonder if you might have luck selling it to Amish woodworkers ? They're not exactly generous with $$$, but you could barter or something ? Just an idea.

Lol, not alot of amish around here that I know of anyways. But a trade with someone might workout.

PCTree that is an amazing building, truly inspiring.8)

:big-jump::big-bounce::big-hang-loose::big-dance2::greenjumpers:

1g downpayment tonight, cash in the hand. 2g due on pick-up of log and all limbs. Oooooooohhhhh Yaahhhhhh!

Darn, I thought Squishy might get generous and send it to me. I would have sent you back a cutting board, at least.

Lol, a few celebratory brews are going down tonight alright. Oh what the hell a round for the house too.:lol:

Dude said he'd be interested in buying any decent hardwoods I can get my hands on. A good connection for sure.

When the Escalade pulled in the driveway I figured it was a good sign.:D

Back