Black Walnut Value?

It's cool if you never do anything but make a fire place mantel out of it .

I've always maintained that the best use of a tree is lumber for fine furniture,nice trim or at least building material .The end results is firewood or chips .Get the best you can from the wallnut .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welllllll........a guy just came over and looked at the log and offered me $400 for it..........I dunno though! Might have to keep it if that's all it's worth.

Based on your estimated measurements that's about $800 MBF. Not too shabby.

I'm holding out for now........I think. His offer also includes getting my deck of limbs from that tree as well, which I don't have a pic of but some nice smaller pieces anyways.

Shoot I thought that was cheap! The guy makes high end custom doors and is a self proclaimed 'wood nut'. He'd make good use of it I'm certain of that, has his own mill and kiln and a big azz woodshop. I might work out some kind of a trade with him, we'll see.

Trade would be good, maybe a chance to get some nice woodwork that you might not get otherwise.

Haha...Al didn't know that those weeds he has growing out there are worth sumpin!

Funny about that hemp...it can be growing here wild from the days when they planted it for the rope or whatever, and you can be checking it out, but God forbid you should take a little sampling for your historical research purposes, or they will immediately throw you in the klink. That is the dumbest %&~|$#` law!

We have a whole town nearby in the mountains named after the bud, from when it used to be grown in the old days. The literal translation of that town's name would be marijuana village.

Yep ,during two world wars they planted hemp by the acre in Ohio and Indiana .The residue is still there thus the term "Indiana ditch weed "

Based on your estimated measurements that's about $800 MBF. Not too shabby.

According to the link that Dave provided for prices in his area $800 MBF for black walnut is half of what the average selling price was.

I think you can refer to it pretty much as the universal idiot law.

Move to Canada.:)

Possession under I think an oz is a misdemeanor, fine no charge. If our conservative government is re-elected our current prime minister has plans to make possession a charge with up to 12 years imprisonment. Guess who I'm not voting for in a couple of weeks.:D

According to the link that Dave provided for prices in his area $800 MBF for black walnut is half of what the average selling price was.
It will vary depending on the geographical area and amount .

That single tree would not fetch nearly that amount around here .My bet is a hundred or less and that's if you could find a buyer . You will likely do much better if it sells to small crafts type person than a commercial mill .

That idea of walnut being worth it's weight in gold is a misnomer around here also but reality proves something else .

I hear ya Al, commercial mills around here don't mill hardwood. Ever. So they're not even an option. It'll go to a small private mill/craftsman if to anyone at all.8)

Oh ,just as a comparrison .That big red oak stump I'm perched on in the avatar yielded over 3000 bd feet of saw log . All at least number one and some veneer grade .I would have been lucky to have gotten 3-400 out of it .Sadly to say it would have fetched more as firewood had I decided to slice it .What a waste that would have been .

Yah it's funny how it works. Like that part load of fir I sold earlier this year. Beautiful big old firs, can't remember the exact scale right now but I ended up with $750 for the whole lot of them. I coulda made way more than that off of firewooding it.

While rambling on about this ,there are a few small scale mill operaters that will buy smal quantities of saw logs for 10-15 cents a board foot ,Scriber scale I think .The one that figures the least amount . They also buy long firewood stuff by the ton and recut and sell it .

These guys are running bandmills like woodmiser etc and sell the stuff ,rough for about 1/2 -1/3 what the larger mills get . Now when I say larger remember this is the midwest .They might get 15-20,000 per day cut .Chicken feed compaired to the PNW or southern states .

If I take a notion when I get my bandsaw done I could double the price and still make out like a bandit . Imagine that --A. Smith Inc --fine hardwoods .:D

yeah I got tired of being screwed at the mill so I decided to do other stuff with my logs. Heres 1 example........

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 5
Very nice,good job .

Now here's the part that sucks with a half life .Your logs ,your hard work .Put it in the form of a building and the greedy azz government thinks you should pay taxes on it so everybody gets to share in the fruits of your labor .That's just wrong .:(

Back