Black Walnut crane Job

• Thread starter Climbinfool.
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 4K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
no I still have it, but I think it's been so long it forgot who I was ...lol... Had to have Butch let me in.

Hey Greg, good to see you again. That chunk of walnut is going to make some mill owner very happy I presume.

Yeah it sure will. The buyer paid a handsome fee for that chunk. Bound to make it back though, and then some.

I need to get the video of that job edited out. So many things to do. Dang

Thanks Brian. No hurry on my part Jer. I know you'll get it done sooner or later. I'm just curious to see those picks being lifted off

I'll tell Rhett you lost the footage. Somehow it got wiped off your hard drive.... Lets see what he says... ummm !

just messin with ya... I wouldn't do that.:P

I mean it is a big fat old thing no doubt .I suppose the value would be established depending on the intended usage .However a gnarly thing like that would have very little commercial value around here .

It would however most likely yield a lot of figured wood so I'd imagine that would make it desireable .

I cut down a black walnut a while back around 40"dbh (i didnt measure it but it was bigger than a yardstick all day) and the spar was about 30+' to the crotches. Couldnt give it away. The mills wouldnt take it becuse it was a yard tree and noone else could move it.

I gave the homeowner the $500 leave the wood where it falls deal on his 80'+ tree, It took me and Bill around 4 hours to get down and then we dropped the spar right on top of all the brush, no cuts on the logs whatsoever. One of the worst messes I have ever seen.

Add to that the fact that we did an even bigger white oak right behind it ($800 leave it where it falls special) and what you have is a lane about 50 feet wide and 80 feet long between this guys house and his neighbors... EDGE to EDGE about 5' tall filled with brush and leads and then two spars laid end to end, they must have weighed tons, laying on top of all the brush.

I imagine it is still there.

I am standing on the oak stump about 40 feet from Billy, He is on the walnut trunk and it continues behind him a good 20-30'
sizemore 2.jpg

Well as far as commercial value for all intents there is none with a yard tree .About the only ones interested in it might be somebody with a small band saw .They may feel they will take a chance hitting tramp metal which at best is 30 bucks for band .

They hit junk with a circle mill it could add up to thousands . Besides all that it can be chore getting out a big log in one piece with out tearing up the guys yard .

I've got a few white oak logs ,nice ones that Tom could get out without much problem .He's cut up way more than he ever snaked out though . You get some of those things that might weight 5 tons ,you can't move the damned things intact .

The past few years we've had companys buying yard trees (walnut), even doing the removals. Several of them were 30" dbh gun barrels, I probably would have chanced throwing them on the mill.

IIRC, Amish folk bought some of them.

Ed

Oh it's a niche I think .Gun stocks and figure for furniture I'd imagine .

Probabley when I get the mill done I'll snatch some .I have no idea what I'd do with it though but it's better than burning it for firewood .It's not all that good for firewood any way .However if I do I'll darned sure go over it with a metal detecter first .

Probabley when I get the mill done I'll snatch some .I have no idea what I'd do with it though but it's better than burning it for firewood .It's not all that good for firewood any way .However if I do I'll darned sure go over it with a metal detecter first .

Now the chainsaw is a rather uncanny and accurate metal locater in itself. If there is but a single nail in a tree the chainsaw can find it.

Its what they wanted. People trying to save a buck, I warned them, with ferver. I was like Moses telling them about brush piles as high as the garage and 5 ton logs sitting on top of it... I tried to explain exactly what kind of mess they were looking at having but they were convinced they could deal with it.

Now the chainsaw is a rather uncanny and accurate metal locater in itself. If there is but a single nail in a tree the chainsaw can find it.
A truism for certain!
Paul, I did the same with that Walnut I did not long ago... Only about a 1/3 of the tops and the sections of leaders I could bomb. HO wanted to do the clean up himself. That stump is all gone and I will get a pic of the back yard next week. He used all the debris we left him to burn the stump a little at a time over a few days....

The best way to burn out a stump is drill it full of holes and drown it with a bit of diesel oil over about 3 months then set it afire .It'll burn for about a week I suppose .

Back