Black Walnut Value?

I don't miss sitting on the upper deck baking in the sun trying to get from Arlington to Rockland with the crane, either. (I know, it's not there anymore.)

Sure, the high end residential work is nice out your way, and I still do plenty of it there... .

The new parks that took its place are beautiful:D

Look me up next time you're out, I'll show ya, and buy ya a beeah:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Heh now y'all are derailing my thread. :what:

And ya know I'd never do that to any of you.:D

Black walnut it is, I'm certain. I've got all the smallish wood home and the big trunk/log is laying in the parking lot coned off and waiting for me to meet up with the hiab tomorrow morning for bringing it up to my place. It's a beaut, rock solid all the way through. Nice big dark heartwood.

I'll try to remember my camera tomorrow, honest.8)

Well then go get your walnut and don't drive like a maniac doing so .;) Ya know it would really be a beech if somebody carved it up for firewood while you are away .:/:

That most likely is pretty accurate info across the state .However in this portion of same they manage ,as they always have to put the screws to the land owner concerning stumpage prices .

Timber cruisers ,lumber buyers and the like know for a fact they most likely will only deal with a specific land owner once in a life time and act accordingly . To be quite honest a person could make out better selling firewood than lumber logs .Besides that the woods wouldn't get nearly as torn up either .

I imagine though that in the eastern and southern portion of the state that things are different . That's the timber area ,this the northwest side is farming country .

Well here she is. 14' of clear to the first knot on the topside and about 18' to the first knot on the bottom side. The butt is 32" and I haven't measured out the top yet but it's got nice taper.8)

Attachments

• IMG_7109.JPG
    IMG_7109.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 62
I'm probably just gonna sell it if the price is right. I've got a few feelers out there, but I had to get it off the jobsite so there she sits for now.

A guy told me to use parafin wax to seal the ends. Any thoughts?

I was told that parafin wax was ideal, but that almost anything would work. Don't you need to dry it for a couple of years before you saw it?

Yup, wax is common to use because it's easy to clean off when you slab out the log. I'm not big into milling stuff but there's a ton of info over at www.forestryforum.com. A very clean minded forum with a bunch of good folks. Jeff doesn't put up with much funny business over there, no cursing, lewd or defamatory comments allowed. Pretend that your mom is reading everything you post. ;)

If it asks for who referred you, my user name over there is Rocky_J.

I hate to bust your bubble but that is about a number 2 common .It isn't a peeler nor fine and select . I'm not saying it's firewood but it ain't that great in comparrison to a really good log .Sorry .:(

The limbs lesson the value, especially the two at the upper part. The desirable wood is mostly up to the lower limb.

You can just get some white glue and smear it over the ends to help prevent checking. Let the first coat dry and do it again. Wax will work fine as well, or a couple applications of paint.

I hate to bust your bubble but that is about a number 2 common .It isn't a peeler nor fine and select . I'm not saying it's firewood but it ain't that great in comparrison to a really good log .Sorry .:(

#2 common? 14' of clear to the first knot of 30" black walnut with lots of heartwood totally solid? I dunno man, that's not how I've seen lumber graded in my short stint in the mill. I worked for six months pulling on a planer chain when I was a youngster. All the wood I piled was graded and knot free was select or J-grade(japanese grade). The best.

How could that not be a peeler? I've got friends and family that work at plywood plants still and that first 14' would make a fine peeler I would think?

Around here that log is a specimen for sure.

Chill out .Yes the top portion of the log looks good but the bottom portion is not .As a whole it's likely number two common .You can upgrade it by cutting a 13 footer out of the top but you would be better off selling the whole thing . No war here just calling it as I see it from a midwesterner in the "walnut " belt .It could be different in your neck of the woods and I hope it is .;)

Say an after thought .Once again I'm not trying to be a smart azz or a know it all .After I get this damned computer to once again post pictures I'll show you what a primo walnut log looks like .

T and J Ellis,a local log exporter has some of the finest hardwood logs in the world and his yard is about 6 miles from my house .I went to school with Jerrys ex wife .

Chill out .Yes the top portion of the log looks good but the bottom portion is not .As a whole it's likely number two common .You can upgrade it by cutting a 13 footer out of the top but you would be better off selling the whole thing . No war here just calling it as I see it from a midwesterner in the "walnut " belt .It could be different in your neck of the woods and I hope it is .;)

You actually mean the bottom portion of the log as the better half right? And if I sell it to someone of course the whole thing will go, it's the bottom 14' of the 20' log that's gonna give it some value I think.

No need to chill dude. I'd love to see some pics of prime hardwood logs. I'm sure to you it would be the same as me seeing prime softwood logs a dime a dozen here. So no sweat.

No,the top portion of the log is the better portion ,the bottom is less because of the knots .Not saying the bottom is not usable but not as high of grade as the top above the top knot .

To further add ,I wouldn't know a good fir log from a bad one .Fact is I've never seen a fir log .--but I've bought my share of fir lumber .Kind of high these days,hurricanes ya know.;) I think I payed 2.58 for a not so good 2 by 4 the other day at Lowes .:(

Al, what are you calling the bottom of the log??? To most of us, the 'bottom' is the end closest to the stump cut. The end I marked with the red arrow is what most of us would call the 'bottom'.

Now how in the world could that damned thing get fatter as it got taller .You have a valid point B .I neglected to pay attention to the sweep of the branchs and stand corrected in this matter .oops!

That's cool Al. It's not a retirement plan or nothing, just something of a oddity/interest to me.

Back