Black Walnut Value?

I'd heard of $10k for a quilted big leaf maple log......
Those prices sound like some of that fiddle back maple they recovered from lake Superior .Sunken since the early 1900's .

T and G Ellis ,a local veneer exporter had some exotic cherry they sold the Japanese for I heard around 20-30 grand but then again you can hear anything .

Those prices sound like some of that fiddle back maple they recovered from lake Superior .Sunken since the early 1900's .

T and G Ellis ,a local veneer exporter had some exotic cherry they sold the Japanese for I heard around 20-30 grand but then again you can hear anything .

A top grade quilted pre cut piece of big leaf maple, can go for $200-500, I hear. about 2.5 board feet:O

Sounds about like figured walnut for gun stocks or musical grade maple for violins etc .Niche market ,nice if you can get it .

Birds-eye-maple, curly-maple, crotch-walnut (pistol grips), chesnut, locust all desired by wood workers & for antique furniture restoration ! They use sweet-gum for furniture frames. Poplar for false graining ( imitating) cherry, mahogany,quarter-sawn oak & other more valuable woods .:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tomorrow I get the rest of the coin for my log, so my uncle scores a cool g for setting everything up and being a all round generally cool dude. I think the thing is gonna get milled right in my yard! I agreed mostly cause I'd like to check out one of these portable mills first hand. Dec.15th is the tentative milling date.8)

I think the Gypster is in the Yukon or some other chunk of frozen tundra and just recently got a satilite dish for internet .

Back