Big dead pine has to go

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So next week I'll get started on it, size everything up well, prep it and then get it on the ground.
Thanks for all the tips, even if something is repeated or I'd thought of it before its all very valuable information and the reinforcing/confirmation of things is excellent. This is several scales of magnitude larger than anything I've done before, caution is my watchword.
Stay tuned...

Heck! why you taking it out. Looks like it's making a good fence post ....:lol:

Seems like you have the advantage of no rented equipment on your side. You can take the time you need without costing you a bunch of money per hour. When I got encouragement from former THer TreeDimensional not to contract out my first big crane tree removal, and went for it instead, I was paying $200/ hour for my learning. I'm much better off for having gone for it. Now, a smaller crane job is a walk in the park. Your experience with this tree will be a great boundary stretcher, which can be a little tough at the time, but gives you much more confidence for the times to come.
I'd never done a crane, or maple, removal of that size until I did that one...now I have.

With the money from this job, you'll have some cash for a saw and bar for felling and processing that beast that would have otherwise gone to the "proper feller", right?

Sean, thats how us PNW folks think, those European influenced folks would just go buy another small saw:lol:

:wall: Hiding behind the wall so she can't hit me...

Ha ha...you all know I've brought a crane onto a job before. I LIKE machines, but over here you can't ride the ball, sucks...

I'm beginning to see the need for big saws now (uh oh)...but to get one big enough for this tree I couldn't lift the blessed thing, so I'll have to fall back on my awesome Euro influence small bar skilzzz...up to a point :)

If you hold the tree on a backstrap, while doing all the cutting, there will be no movement in the tree before you trip it ( and run!).
Therefore no chance of stuff falling down, so the ekstra time spent futzing around cutting from both sides with a smaller bar, wouldn't put you in any extra danger.

Aww Pete, now you've just opened a new can of worms!
Ported saws is where I revert to girl...I don't get all that fiddly stuff, have to get a guy to do it for me...
Trouble is Stig, my longest bar just now is 18", I'm considering the loan of a 24"...probably on a 460.

460? Ha, you need a real saw for that tree.

Pay the freight and I'll lend you one, short bar and all.:laughing6:

attachment.php

Back