Big dead pine has to go

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bump....THUMP!

The big dead pine is history! It went down today.

I admit to not doing the felling cuts, the stump was too high for me to safely and effectively weild a 660 with a 3' bar...and even with that the cutter had to double cut it.

The joy of big machinery, they had a track excavator, used it to smash off the lower branches, the cutter went up in the excavator bucket and reductioncut the big branch, then they pushed it off with the excavator!

I got the pulling line up in it, not without drama, using my new bigshot and right as it bag is on target...a big tangle in the bucket, the bag goes through then promptly winds itself three times firmly around a branch. We came home with a very short piece of thowline.

Luckily my Mr. had the bow and arrow, he nailed two great shots at about 60', we had spare line to pull the rigging rope through, got it cinched up, 4ton shackle tied off with a trippe wrap then a double fishermans, same on the other end, shackled to a 2t sling basket hitched to the excavator.

I put two rachet straps on the bottom, just in case, the slime at the bottom had me concerned. As ithappened the tree was sound all the way through, the slime was from just under the bark.

Josh cut his face, then as he went round the back cut I put in the wedges...about 2/3 the way around there was a big 'THUMP' as something gave way inside, then he got almost round to his mark and she started to go....Wheeee, CRASH!
As the dust settled, two possums came dashing out, they had been nesting up in all the fuzzy growth about halfway up!

While the estate staff went to lunch, I delimbed it, Bob (the hubby) cut up the stuff on the ground. When they came back they set to with a massive grapple machine and the excavator, I got to use the 460 to crosscut the trunk, some fo the biggest crosscutting I've ever done! The last one had to be done with the 660...too big for me.

By 3pm, all that was left was a big pile for burning and a few pine cones and sticks...Amazing!

Attachments

• IMGP7225.jpg
    IMGP7225.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMGP7226.jpg
    IMGP7226.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMGP7227.jpg
    IMGP7227.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMGP7229.jpg
    IMGP7229.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 24
Four more

Attachments

• IMGP7232.jpg
    IMGP7232.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP7239.jpg
    IMGP7239.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 53
  • IMGP7240.jpg
    IMGP7240.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 19
Congrats Fi! I knew you'd get that tree down. :thumbup:

One question- Why is there a rope laying on the ground through the middle of all the brush here?

attachment.php

Well done .Good plan on not making the fall cuts .A 660 with three foot of stick is just a tad bit much for a small person to handle .Best to stay safe within your comfort job .

Well done .Good plan on not making the fall cuts .A 660 with three foot of stick is just a tad bit much for a small person to handle .Best to stay safe within your comfort job .

Nice! Job Fiona... what kind of pine was that?

At least Burnham knows what a face cut is...!
It was a Radiata pine
The rope was the pulling rope I set in it, didn't take much to get it free. It was my still fairly new 9/16 double braid, the new is now gone, it looks like a proper work rope now.

At least Burnham knows what a face cut is...!

Something you get from being careless when shaving, right?

That was one ugly tree, Fiona. Looks huge with you next to it, too.
Must have felt nice to see that one hit the dirt.

Yay!! Right proper job completed.

I don't see any blood on the face....:/:
:lol:

or Josh

or the rope

or the highway.....;)

Yup, done, down , gone, history.
Whew!

Next....

Back