Best Biner For One Handed Opening

• Thread starter oscar4883
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 6K
O

oscar4883

I am thinking of going to a biner on the end of my lanyard and am curious as to what you guys think is a good option. Looking for something fairly easy to open one handed for someone who is biner challenged. Ball Lockers are easy enough but with gloves on I find them a pain sometimes. Thanks in advance.

DMM Sentinel or Shadow. Easy to open one handed, left or right. Went from a snap to a biner once, went back to the snap, then I tried the Sentinel on my lanyard and loving it. Haven't looked back and don't plan too.

I am not a big fan of the ball lock unless it is for a something that I am not going to open a lot. I prefer the Petzl Triact for one handed operation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Anyone try the Rock Exotica biners?

I had a Rock Pirate. I think I traded it to Nick after about 5 climbs on it. I could not stand it. If it was Nick, maybe he will toss on his two cents.

Yeah, I'm with the other snap-guys on this one...

Can I ask why exactly you'd prefer a biner over a snap? I've got a great aluminum snap that I really love because it's light, but if I don't have that, I'll use the steel ones rather than a biner. You'll eventually get really good at opening any tri-lock biner in time, but--I don't know how it is in PA--out in the Northwest, the rain will absolutely coat all of your gear with moss and lichen slime, and then, I can guarantee you'll be cussing any biner with one hand!

Ahh I forgot to mention... Locking :)
car403-500.gif

The pear shaped biners like the mighty mouse (smaller biner) works well on a lanyard. I've been using a biner for 3 + years now and love it. Mainly to switch into a second rope system when double tying on long walks. I keep my lanyard about 15 - 20 ft length minimum. Add graphite powder to the gate mechanisms to make it open smoother too. After using the biners in sticky trees they have a tendency to 'stick'.

jp:D

I too prefer a snaphook on the working end of my lanyards, but a biner is good on the adjuster end.

But there's lots of other places where a biner is used in climbing systems...unless you're climbing like Butch :).

The Rock Exotica Pirate is my absolute favorite pear shaped biner these days. The offset hinge gives a larger than average gate opening, and the pull down to open, as opposed to push up to open function is far easier for me to manipulate under most all conditions, either hand. RE also has an oval called the Rock-O with the same gate style...perfection for use with the Hitchclimber slack-tender pulley. Price is very attractive on both.

Before RE put these two on the market, the Omega Pacific Jake was my hands down favorite...same gate style being the reason. In my experience, I think RE produces a higher overall quality product than OP.

I bought four of those pirates because you recommended them, but simply couldn't get my hand to remember that they worked opposite of what I was used to.
So I gave them away.
Can't teach an old dog new tricks, I guess.

I'm the same way, I have two of those omega jake carabiners and never use them. Could never get the opposite locking thing down, so they just sit in the shop. If anyone wants them I'm sure we can work something out...

jp:D

Back