Cable core lanyard stopper knot?

Brock Mayo

TreeHouser
Hey all,

A guy I know cut into his cable core lanyard a bit the other day... It was near the end of a 16 foot lanyard, so he's thinking he could put a carabiner on the other eye and chop off the damaged section. The question being, what's an easy way to terminate a cable core? Don't need an eye, just something that a friction hitch can't slide past. The flemish splice looks pretty doable, but seems a bit overkill, seeing how it's not setup for a two in one. Just need a bomber end that a hitch can't slide get past. I was wondering about just tightening an overhand knot and taping the sharp ends? Crazy idea?
I've used wire clamps on non life support items quite a bit, but it doesn't seem like a great option on a lanyard... Thanks for the help... you know, for a friend :)

Brock

Simplest solution to my mind might be the single cable clamp, Brock. As small as will squeeze over the host (slide/cut/and melt the ends of the rope outer to get at the cable alone). I could see wrapping the whole mess with a bunch of high end electrical tape...maybe.

But I think I'd not do that. Cleaner would be to slide the end of the cable inside a large diameter section of shrink heat wire insulation before setting the cable clamp to hide the jagers, then melt that down. Then set the little cable clamp.

I don't think it will be pretty, but it would be safe and sturdy.

I’d always doubt its integrity though. Not saying it’s a bad idea, but it’d still give me the willies every time my life was counting on it.
Quality and material of the clamp will make a difference too I’m sure. No zinc plated Home Depot stuff.

Quick and dirty would be a cable clamp forming an eye on the end with a thimble(for extra bulk). Better would be an eye splice. Good proof of concept, and your first attempt will be non load bearing, so it's harder to fail. Then you'll know how to make a splice.

Cut back a bit of the cover. Slide on a piece of shrink tubing and set it out of the way.
Form a tight eye with the wire core. Tack weld in place then put the shrink on it.

That is if you have access to a welder.
Oh, and be sure to lightly grind the surface so your welds will "stick."

I'm with Burnham on this.
That would be safe enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the replies. I'm intrigued by flushcut's overhand knot. Seems quick and bomber.
With the eye splice, are you thinking a full on rebraid, or the flemish? How do folks squish a choker button or a flemish eye molly without a press?

Which is exactly why Burnham's idea of a cable clamb works better.

Copy that! Farmer splice looks to be about the same as the flemish? Might go that route just to learn something new. Cable clamps wouldn't sketch me out at all if they were just the finish to a legit splice. Probably add some duct tape just to make it look professional :). I'll let you'll know what I do...
This whole question has me wondering if anyone is making their own cable core lanyards? Seems pretty doable if you had access to a press...

Just a thought here. The cable cores I buy at the local logging supply only have one rated eye. The other eye is not rated for life support, just there to make a clean finish on the end of the lanyard I guess.

Don't know about the lanyard in question, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Wow, I hope they label those non-rated eyes well! The lanyard in question is a yale maxi-flip sport. I guess I've always assumed that both eyes are rated on commercially available lanyards? Thanks!

Brock
Maxi-Flip Wire Core Fliplines image

You are not alone...I see an eye like that I sure would think it was for full life support. And in your picture the right eye has the heat shrunk/protected data label..which to me should show strength, part number, etc...and if it shows strength I would think THAT was the life support side for sure. Yet the snap hook is attached permanently to the ?non-life support? side....

I am pretty confused.

OK....time for good info...this topic made me sit up straight like WTF? I tabbed over to Treestuff and started researching their wire-core lanyards for info. I noticed their "chat box" and decided to try it...guess who was manning the chat....NICK BONNER!!! He sent some good info....here is our chat just now:

Hit us up via chat if you need anything or have a technical question.
Live chat operator avatar

Nick Bonner
Hi Gary, Whats up?

GL Are both eyes of a wire core lanyard rated for life support? Are both eyes on the lanyard the same?

Nick Bonner
The ropelogic ones, yes.

GL Hey, Nick!!!! Thread running at the treehouse and it has to do with 2nd eye of wire core.

Nick Bonner
the only difference would be that some come with hardware and some dont

GL this was the post yesterday by Gypo: "Just a thought here. The cable cores I buy at the local logging supply only have one rated eye. The other eye is not rated for life support, just there to make a clean finish on the end of the lanyard I guess. Don't know about the lanyard in question, just thought I'd throw that out there."

GL Have you heard of non-rated eyes on a lanyard??? Sounds crazy to me. So I am checking your info here to see if y'all address the point

Nick Bonner
I habent

I only recommend ours though
the older style of orange crimped lanyards with the exposed cable fail
the Rope logic ones have the cable and 1/2" 16 strand rope all swaged together
its doubly strong and weve never had any failure, ever.
weve sold 10s of thousands of them maybe 100s~!

GL OK....thanks..i'll carry on...appreciate you guys. I'll pass along your info to the Housers.

Nick Bonner
No worries
hopefully the chat feature is helpful
we are working on staffing it more hours!

GL Very....you be da man! Thanks

Nick Bonner
Cheers.

Yeah. The failures in the past on the Yale products present some concerns. I have Always used both ends with cable core on the ones i purchase by switching the clip. Use a pear shaped link through the eye to link the clip. Cut eyes when retired. Never had any issues. Inspection is key. If you see some corrosion, rust or fraying strands of cable at the eye, retire it. Always inspect your kit. Most failures can be avoided by doing so.

I have never been afraid to use either eye on a cable core lanyard. It would make no sense to only make one side rated and not the other, same damn process. And no reason to put two rating labels on it.
You as the consumer are just choosing your configuration of the flip line. Two eyes only, one eye with a clip or two eyes with clips.
Just my 2c

Back