Avenue of the Giants! Again!

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Another trip to the big trees and hiking the same trails. Boy I got to say that cortisone shot really made my ankle feel a lot better. I'm feeling just about as good as my old self. Though I know it isn't going to last, but I'm digging it.

Saturday Terri and I hiked the 'Gated Road" into the Drury Chaney Grove. Then on Sunday we did Founders Grove. New angles and different lighting on familiar landscapes. Some of the trees you may recognize from the Coast Redwood book. Enjoy!!

DSC04869.JPG DSC04969.JPG DSC04965.JPG DSC04962.JPG DSC04958.JPG DSC04951.JPG DSC04935.JPG DSC04901.JPG DSC04894.JPG DSC04987.JPG

Great pics. Glad your ankle is cooperating.

Really dumb question, but I have to ask it: were trees like these getting logged regularly back in the 60s and 70s. Its just hard to imagine cutting trees that big, en masse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, Cory, in the 60's and 70's more trees like this were being logged than I am comfortable with. Despite that the logging was fascinating to me I wish they would have save more of them back then.

Some astonishing shots you're getting in some pretty low-light situations Jer. Thanks again. Can't quite afford another trip down this summer, but your shots are such an adequate alternative!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some astonishing shots you're getting in some pretty low-light situations Jer. Thanks again. Can't quite afford another trip down this summer, but your shots are such an adequate alternative!
Indeed low light conditions, Jed. Early in the mornings contrast is poor and colors are lost. The best light is when the fog is breaking and illuminated by the sun. It brings out colors and contrast. You can seen the difference in some of the shots I posted.

I wonder when the last giant was felled?

Me too!

Taken from The Golden Spruce, by John Vaillant;

"In 1987 a Vancouver Island faller named Randy felled a red cedar more than 22 feet in diameter. Using a Husqvarna 160 chain saw with a 40-inch bar, it took him six and a half hours. After cutting a wedge all the way around the outside of the tree, he cut window blocks and tunneled into the center. The noise from his saw was so loud inside the chamber he had made, and the exhaust so thick, that he didn't know the tree was falling until daylight, let in by the lifting trunk, lit up the smoke around him. . . When he examined the stump afterwards, Randy recalled that 'The tree rings were so tight you couldn't fit a piece of paper between them. That thing had to be--frig--Thousands of years old.'"

One of my favorite books, and a great read if you haven't.

Those are Amazing pictures Mr. Beranek!

I take that to mean large sections removed to gain access to the hinge wood. I think it's a term that could be used to describe the pockets we see used to set up hydraulic jacks for committing the tree to it's lay. . . Not sure, certainly never had to create one myself. haha

Great that you are able to hike again.
Thanks for the photos, can't wait to get back to those trees.

Nice to see. Thanks.

Funny how what appeals to everyone is different. I told my son to make sure to check out Redwoods, Sequioas. He said meh. I couldn't believe it.

Cutting the Giants brings to mind the scientist cutting down probably the oldest tree on the planet, Bristlecone Pine, Prometheus. Brilliant.

One has recently been measured to be 5063 years old.

If you ever get a chance to visit the Bristlecone forest near Bishop CA. it is well worth it.
In their own way, they are just as impressive as Sequioas/Redwoods.

Back