Avenue of the Giants! Again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice to see. Thanks.

Funny how what appeals to everyone is different. I told my son to make sure to check out Redwoods, Sequioas. He said meh. I couldn't believe it.

Cutting the Giants brings to mind the scientist cutting down probably the oldest tree on the planet, Bristlecone Pine, Prometheus. Brilliant.

Lord! The days of the past are behind us. Glorious and saddening alike.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Depends on what you mean by "giant" Butch, but, my guess is, they're still falling old-growth right now on private land. Check out Gerry's "Old Growth" vid. Contemporary stuff.

Indeed, a bit of old-growth is being felled on private lands today, but more old-growth falls naturally in the parks every year. What little old-growth in private holdings can't even compare to what I photograph in the parks. In fact theres second-growth redwoods today much larger than most of the old-growth you find on private lands. It all depends on where the trees grow.

Wow! I didn't know that. Those second growth pigs must grow down on the river-flats or something eh? Our second-growth Fir pigs can't even come close to rivaling even our smaller, alpine O.G. At least, I don't think so. Redwood must grow a ton faster than fir pig eh?

Seems like the conditions were lovely.

Like how in the 3rd from last photo just the upper body appears. It makes both the trees and the ferns look huge.

Back