Navarro Redwood Again

I've been wearing shin guards for three decades, now. I feel naked w/o them. I can kneel down on anything.

I posted a pic once of a chunk of limb that hit near the stump after a fell...some might remember it...that sob would have killed anyone, hard hat or not...be scarce around the stump whenshe goes, friends.

So far as the random limb that falls with no real reason...my favorite work truck bore a serious dent on the center of it's hood for several years, no wind, just a widowmaker that gave it up...glad it hit the Ram and not me :).

I don't remember the cause of his injury, but have always thought of his story in part as being that a humorous man can get hurt as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Judging from the split at the base I would say it was snapped out during a fall. Whether it was from the tree he fell or one that it hit is speculative. Either way that widow maker is big enough to kill any man. He was damn lucky that's all that happened to him.

Wonder what became of John? One of his last posts that I can recall was of someone going outside of their trailer in an Alaskan whiteout and not being able to find it to return. Possibly his live in lady friend? He had a lot of good stories. Wasn't he about the record holder for getting kicked out at other forums? Some folks had a hard time getting his humor perspective. I don't think that he was a well man, had some health concerns.

We had a hanger fall last summer, I cut a branch and it got stuck part way down, hidden in the other foliage, I called down to tell Bob to be careful we have a hanger, but we both forgot about it, when I was pulling up my refueled saw it let go, I heard it hit his helmet (he wears a rockman with a chinstrap) then it grazed his arm, scrapped up his upper arm pretty good. He still has a scar, thank God, only a scar. Shit, I was scared for a moment till he started cussing me out.
That was our worst incident, several things we could have done better, but no helmet, probably no Bob.

I have over the course of 35 years broken 3 helmets while wearing them, so you'll never see me working around a tree without one.

About 6 years ago I noticed that my falling helmet had started to develop hairline cracks, so I went and bought a new one. The next day I was felling an oak next to a freeway, a pretty tricky fall. I was concentrating too much on checking if the tree hit the lay and didn't see the slim, long dead elm that hit me in the back of the head and knocked me out. That thing actually disfigured the new helmet enough to make the plastic ( or whatever Stihl helmets are made of) a lighter colour in the back of the helmet.
The old helmet would likely have disintergrated.

So don't forget to buy a new helmet occasionally.

I'm working on a study for the arb training company I work part time for.
How many loggers or arborists may have survived a fatality when hit by a struck by if they have had a full suspension chin strap harness on their helmet/hard hat?
When hit by a struck by, the outer limbs will knock your hard hat off or sideways and then the main stem or trunk of the tree can now make contact with your unprotected head a split second later , most times resulting in severe injury or death.
Now there is a difference..... a helmet has a chin strap harness built into the suspension like the Petzl or Pacific Kevlar has for example, this offers good side impact protection, keeping the helmet in place on your head under side impact.
A hard hat has only 2 holes on the shell bottom edge to attach a elastic chin strap to, a side impact can easily push the hardhat off the head .
The full harness webbing chin strap on the helmet offers the best protection.
So how many deceased arborists / loggers could still be walking this earth today with a proper helmet?

Had a small (1 1/4" x 8') branch from a dead Elm hit me in the noggin a few years back...put me on my knees. Damn glad I had my hardhat on.

With all the standing dead Ash here, I won't even go in the woods on windy days.

Ed

I got clobbered good in the back once during a crane pick. A dead Pine limb came down. The operator said that he watched it the whole way :|: I said man, you could of honked your horn. Hurt for like three days.

I saw Dave Bryant aka treeslayer, get clocked by a six foot seven inch boxelder chunk. Hit him hard enough to crack his kevlar helmet like an egg. Dave had a thread on AS about it, but that may be lost to the ages now, oh well.

Probably saw some stars on that one... Not birds but stars...
He did some work with Murph .... Right??
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R9_m8eVdU2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Any similarities between persons living or dead in that last video is purely coincidental ....
:D

Back