Danes in the Redwoods

gf beranek

Old Schooler
They made it. Danes in the redwoods. Stig, Richard, Martin and Esger. On Saturday Terri and I met up with the group at the Eel River Cafe in Garberville. About an hour later than we planned. In lieu of our tardiness Terri and I skipped breakfast to get the group up to Bull Creek. There we got on some trail I had never been on before. Beautiful woods, but the lighting was lousy that day.

We all stayed at the RRR. Sunday morning we met Mario Vaden in Garberville for breakfast. Then went up to the Avenue from there. The lighting was so much better on Sunday. We hit three groves along the Main Fork of the Eel, and at noon Terri and I headed back to Fort Bragg. Stig and the boys had some plans to climb a tree, and I'm not sure where Mario went after that. Before parting ways Mario gave Terri a picture of the 'Forks of the Smith River' Gorgeous!

Anyway here's the pics of the Danes, Mario and the trees! Enjoy!!

stig pano 1.jpg vertical stig 009.jpg vertical stig 008.jpg stig pano 8.JPG vertical stig 007.jpg vertical stig 006.jpg stig pano 6.JPG vertical stig 005.jpg vertical stig 004.jpg vertical stig 003.jpg stig pano 7.JPG vertical stig 002.jpg vertical stig 001.jpg stig pano 5.JPG stig pano 4.JPG stig pano 3.JPG stig pano 2.JPG vertical stig 010.JPG

Very good. Sometimes you only get an idea of their size when they've fallen over, redwoods that is, not Danes.

Wonderful pictures! Gerry, what's up with the tree in the sixth picture? The bark appears to be stripped? I've heard they used to take the bark off these trees for exhibition back east. . .

Great pics Gerry, I have to get back out there soon, but soooo busy right now

Wonderful pictures! Gerry, what's up with the tree in the sixth picture? The bark appears to be stripped? I've heard they used to take the bark off these trees for exhibition back east. . .

The bark was stripped for display, many years ago.

Although the tree looks awkward, I though that shot and composition was pretty darn cool.

Here's one with the Gerry, too ...

Beranek_1_1200.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

You guessed right, and there's still a strip of bark keeping the tree alive today.

Nice pic, Mario. Boy the lighting was sure nice that morning. Perfect in fact! Might try again this weekend.

The lighting and fog was remarkable yesterday morning for Rhododendrons around 6am to 11am north of Arcata in the parks. I would have spent hours taking photos but needed to do extra exploring with Chris before we split for home again.

Maybe take a moment to visit my Redwood Forest facebook page .... Just posted a photo there of a Coast Redwood we found couple days ago. May wait for next winter to post stats in case it becomes one for a complete volume measurement.

Back