attach block to end of rope

bstewert

TreeHouser
I want to set a block higher than I want to climb, but still retrieve it from the ground. So I'm going to pull it up to a crotch (pre-rigged) with another line, and tie that to the base of the tree. What's your favorite method of tying the block to the end of a rope?

I have a spliced eye in my 5/8" 3 strand line. In my 9/16" Stable braid I use a bowline to attach a block.

On half inch use I prefer a "doubled" bowline... gives you three loops to set in the block.. if you are going with a bowline, at least double the loops that you rabbit goes through.. much stronger knot! and easier to untie after loading..

sometimes called an anchor bowline (from mountaineering lingo)...put a round turn on the anchor and then tie the bowline.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I like a bowline best, too. Today I tried a triple fishermans just for the heck of it. That was a mistake.

Another thing, I want to attach the end of the rope to the middle somewhere, to form a continuous loop. What do you like to use there?

I agree with Murphy on the Dbl bowline. End of end attachment I like the Zeppelin Bend. From what I have heard the ZB will result in almost no strength loss in the lines.

Bowline with a Yosemite tie-off.
That makes it a lot easier to untie IMO.

End to middle, I'd use an alpine butterfly in the mid and a connector (screw link or biner) to a bowline on the end. I'm with Stig re the yosemite tie-off.

An alternative to the AB would be bowline on a bight.

I want to set a block higher than I want to climb, but still retrieve it from the ground. So I'm going to pull it up to a crotch (pre-rigged) with another line, and tie that to the base of the tree. What's your favorite method of tying the block to the end of a rope?

:? I'm surprised no one has asked: "Which block?" IDK about anyone else, but IMO I've got some rigging blocks that should NOT be tied to the end of a rope. AND, no one asked: "What's the application?" All the replies will work for some applications but NOT ALL. I'm suggesting there is no one method that will work for every block in every situation. I have different favorite methods depending on use and hardware ... doesn't everyone? I'm looking to narrow the question just a little.
:)

What difference does it make which block he is using? We have 3 different blocks from 3 different manufactures and I would hang anyone of them like he is talking about..... assuming the tree can handle the forces, etc.

Valid point, Jack. I thought to suggest that some blocks shouldn't be attached direct to cordage, but assumed (I know, a bad thing to do) that everyone knows that.

What blocks cant be attached to cordage? Are you guys referring to rescue pulleys and the like? In my mind blocks should only be attached to cordage like an eye sling, loopie or whoopie. Are we just having a misunderstanding of terms?

If it has an attachment sheave, then cordage is proper...if not, then it cannot...for the most part. The Pinto is an exception, for example.

Well may be terminology issues.

I use a bowline & hope that, by that irritating quirk of physics, I don't break the rigging point, with the potentially massive forces created.

I have 3 of them...given to me by a friend that did a lot of rigging for his company (piping, conduit, some very big stuff at times for places like Cabella's when they built the stores). When a job was over they had to "dispose" of the rigging gear. He said they used them to safety off to pipes when they were working at height.

Back