i broke my spar (with tip)

friedrich

Treehouser
yesterday i was removing a group of dead thuja occidentalis on an old cemetery above old and brittle gravestones.
there was an oak tree very close that would have been perfect for a rigging point and tie in. i decided that it wasnt necessary.

i spiked up the straightest and most sound looking thuja and on the way up i noticed the branches were quite snappy and thought „its more dead than i thought“ but i didnt change my plan accordingly. i roped down a couple of tops myself (while rigging the tops i tied in to different thujas) and installed a block (i used a block because the pieces were rather light and a ring wouldve been too much friction with the portawrap) in the straightest and my tip above it.
now that the tops were gone i felt more secure with my spar.
than i started roping down some stem wood (25cm 2,5 m long/1 1/2 wraps on the portawrap), the groundie let it run almost to the ground and just before it hit a gravestone he stoped it a little bit abrupt. but not terrible.

i than disconnected my lanyard and swung over to my spar to spike up and rig another piece but noticed the area that cracked. i disconnected from my climb line, informed the ground crew and slowly spiked down. the spar above the crack was wobbling in a very sketchy fashion.

after a discussion/safety meeting with all coworkers, i installed the rigging system and tip in the oak and we were able to finish the job safely.

i see a lot of red flags and things that i could‘ve done in a different way to change the outcome. it is still very fresh and i am very grateful that i am alive and well and able to learn from this.

friedrich

C1863708-C8BA-4E5A-AD9A-B974D78E622A.jpeg

5022611D-79A6-4FB3-B6C7-A359FA53CE6D.jpeg

Brings to mind today's job- I took down a large (22"x80') dead ash in a backyard. Due to proximity of 2 fences and a shed and especially the surrounding tall trees, all of it had to be pieced out/roped down to about 20' high spar. I was quite leery of working with a dead ash sans bucket or crane but fortunately it wasn't stone dead and all went well. :rockhard:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Scary!
Glad it just turned out to be a learning experience.
Live to be my age in the busines and you'll have a portfolio of them.
Which is better than being dead or maimed.
yes, thank you. i‘ll try my best.

Brings to mind today's job- I took down a large (22"x80') dead ash in a backyard. Due to proximity of 2 fences and a shed and especially the surrounding tall trees, all of it had to be pieced out/roped down to about 20' high spar. I was quite leery of working with a dead ash sans bucket or crane but fortunately it wasn't stone dead and all went well. :rockhard:
glad it went ok.

Breadsticks. Glad you saw the crack change
the bark was complete when i started, i peeled it off when i noticed the crack. i am pretty sure that it wasnt there when i started but i will never know. i might have started it with my top.

one mistake was that i was kind of assuming that as soon as the top is gone, i‘m in safe waters.

I’ve always said that the tree inspection begins with just simply approaching the tree and looking at it. Then, touching it, snapping off some sprouts, thumping it with yer spurs (if it’s a removal), then feeling how the spurs dig in. Does the tree flex and move while climbing? Or is it rigid?

All this goes out when the tree has base rot (like with SOD) or from some kinda rot up stem.

Always listen to that inner voice.
I remember one particular dead oak that just gave my gaffs a death vibration that made me stop and rethink the situation. Tree only had one target and some plants and trees the HO wanted avoided. I did not have all my gear with me for the task. Made arrangements to come back near future and spider down into the tree from one over and next to it instead of bombing.
Came back to do the deed, tree had fallen on its own. No roots left.

One palm was in a very awkward place, no access at all. I was flying out the next day so couldnt do it. I gave them a plan as how it could be felled with some stuff moved and a name of another arborist.

That's happened to me a couple times on palms...got 10' up and full bury of tree gaffs, wobble felt wrong. Bailed.
The Wobble , yep ... same here though not an every day occurrence. One memorable not even huge Poplar that communicated so while climbing , of course came down and made new plan to bring it down. Later when the Excavator came for the stumps , root system was completely failed 360° ....

Never had a tip fail while climbing but I was removing a very dead tree (too far gone for me to identify. Had a couple half way decent limbs up top I could rig off of. Had a shed and chicken coops below me. No way I could climb it and gain access to the final cuts I had to make. So I’m in the bucket truck and on the final and largest leader that leaned back over the chickens. I natty crotched the rope through two dead leaders to get a little more height so the limb wouldn’t hit the chickens or shed. Well as the limb flew around to the front of the tree on the rigging, one of the two tip’s completely exploded, some how flew over the shed and fence and landed in the back parking lot of the storage unit. No damage some how and that was just enough time to keep the rigged limb high enough to not destroy the roof of the shed. Turned out to be a great and very smooth/exciting job lol

Back