Any rock hounds here in the Treehouse.

That is a nice collection of arrow heads, Joel. Some of those look really well crafted. It makes me wonder if it bummed someone out if they lost one, or with enough time on their hands to make more, no big deal?

I'm quite sure that it was a craftsmans job it the tribe. As with us humans the person with the best results from what they do has the job. A good many in another box are all cast offs you can see where the defect is and they knew to go further it would break.

I just have to show you this one.
The "Hindsgavl dagger" named after the place it was found.
Considered the finest example of the stonechippers art found here.

It is made just before the stoneage ended ( around 3500 B.C.) and is an imitation of a southern European Bronze dagger.
Basically it is a poor man's bronze dagger.
It is 12 inches long.Made from flint.

It is on display in the National Museeum and I seek it out every few years. I think the lines and craftsmanship are simply fantastic.

Hindsgavl-dolken2.jpg

It was made when the art of stonechipping was at it's absolute apex. Just before bronze replaced stone and the art disappeared.

Kind of like those videos we watch of redwoods being cut down with axes and whipsaws, and we marwel at how good those people were with those axes.
Then along came the chainsaw!

The person who made that dagger really had a good sense of form. Wonder what shape was used to carve it?

Back