A couple of trees to fell, targets involved

Burnham

Woods walker
I was asked to take a look at several standing dead hazard trees yesterday, with an eye to felling them. They stand right along the boundary between FS land and a private land ownership. The land owner has recently built a very attractive, and expensive, house and garage/shop/guest quarters within 50 feet of these trees. There is a distribution powerline running parallel to the boundary line on FS land, about 25 feet on the opposite side, between the trees from the buildings.

Took 'em down this morning.

Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• Henry Creek hazard trees 002.jpg
    Henry Creek hazard trees 002.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Henry Creek hazard trees 003.jpg
    Henry Creek hazard trees 003.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Henry Creek hazard trees 005.jpg
    Henry Creek hazard trees 005.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Henry Creek hazard trees 008.jpg
    Henry Creek hazard trees 008.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Henry Creek hazard trees 009.jpg
    Henry Creek hazard trees 009.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Henry Creek hazard trees 011.jpg
    Henry Creek hazard trees 011.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:D

I told the district ranger I could fell them with pretty close to zero risk of damage to the buildings or infrastructure...he said "make it so" yesterday afternoon.

When I called him this morning to let him know it was done, he heaved a big sigh of relief...it turns out he tossed and turned all night, picturing a 36" dbh Doug fir slicing a $300k house in two :). I slept like a baby, btw :D.

Last edited:
Lol, keep 'em on their toes!

All's well that fell's well. That just doesn't sound the same when typed?

:)

I don't see any wedge marks must have tipped pretty easy?

But in that one picture, if your going to finish the face with an axe doesn't the sharp side cut better?........:P

Favorable lean on two of the three I dropped, Wally...one of the reasons for sufficient confidence to proceed:). I tapped a wedge in just for SOP, but they went on their own. The third needed just a little nudge with a hardhead, but it went quietly into the night as well.

Is that why it took so long to finish? :D

I would assume that B had taken the appropriate steps to warn anyone who might travel into harms way, so I'm guessing they atleast knew what was happening? Maybe not though, maybe he just ninja'd in and thumped 'em down.

Butch, for at least half a dozen years, you've asked me the exact same question on multiple occasions, and for as many years I've tried my best to explain the reason...sorry, but I give up. If you still don't get it, then it would appear that your basic understanding of the mechanics of felling cuts is less than I would expect of a fellow with your level of experience in this work. Since that doesn't really make sense, I can't figure what the problem is.

Let's just say that you will do it your way and I'll do it mine :).

Nice job, Burn!

It must have taken a while chopping out the notch in the first picture, given your technique! :lol::P

Before I'd cut such a tall face I'd slap a snipe in, instead.

So you'd waste time putting in an extra, unnecessary, cut.

I know you work at staying skinny, but using work methods that'll make you starve as a faller is not the way to go about it IMO:P

Burnham, why did you use a conventional face on that tree?

I don't recall seing you ever do that before.

Not getting influenced by the Europeans, are you?:lol:

Yoiur way works fine for the trees you are falling, Butch.
I just tend to see everything through the eyes of a faller, working to scale.

Also I was teasing you;)

Back