A couple of trees to fell, targets involved

o.k......what's your reasoning? even if your aim is spot on..........what negatives might you be referring to?

Burnham is a logger.
We don't use taglines.

Unless you'd call an 18 ton dyneema line attached to a skidder a tagline, that is:lol:

Dyneema is lovely stuff, all right.
And not terribly expensive either.

maybe better clarify my terminology..........not referring to tagline as in a choker setting situation. just referring to a pull rope with mild tension for direction, that's all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
o.k......what's your reasoning? even if your aim is spot on..........what negatives might you be referring to?

I didn't say anything about negatives, my friend, I just see no advantage...a pull line does absolutely nothing for assuring the tree goes where you want it to...the hinge is the controlling factor there. There surely is a negative, though...it takes longer to set a pull line than it does to fell the tree, and a couple of wedges commit the tree to the face as effectively as a pull line.

As you clarified in your last post, I'm talking about a tag line, something to ease a tree to commit...not a pull situation where it takes power and leverage to overcome back lean. In that case I'm all for it instead of pounding wedges like a mofo :).

Tag line or no once it's commits there's not a thing you can do about it if the lay is off . Real sickening feeling in the pit of the stomach as it heads for a house .

I think I want to respectfully disagree a bit on pulling not giving direction. I find that with pulling where you use the alternating pull and cut method to get a tree considerably leaning towards the lay without yet cutting it enough to fall, you do get some directional control by degrees, since the area/length of time where the tree can make up it's own mind given weight or lean factors is reduced. I wouldn't want to try and hit a beer can with the method though, just sayin' some directional control. Obviously not all trees are candidates.

You can also get some directional pull with a rope when there is a lot of decay and poor hinge properties in the wood or where the hinge may fail prematurely.

So you guys are either supporting a weakened/ heavy leaner or just using the rope to commit the tree to the face right?

Tag line can only get things started. Has no affect on direction of fall.

SDC12364.JPG SDC12365.JPG

Sure tag line a heavy back leaner. But when you anchor line a heavy side leaner 90 degree to the lay things get really interesting especially when the side leaning tree always lands to the intended lay.

So you guys are either supporting a weakened/ heavy leaner or just using the rope to commit the tree to the face right?

Second part. Seems like a lot of tension and the right timing with the final cut gives a little jump start towards the desired lay. Especially when pulled over before the release.

I tag them if I feel it's neccessary .Most times not though .You gotta remember some of you folks are fellers some are treemen and some of us are just part timers .Three different mind sets here .Most treemen in this area tag them .Why because they've always have done it that way .

I mean if you think about it what makes the diff on a demolition as long as you get the thing on the ground without killing or maiming someone and not destroy a bunch of property doing so .

Oh, now that may be just a little hard-nosed, Stig. I know Justin can fell plenty well. Thus, I really wondered under what circumstances he'd feel the need for a tag line...just a straight up tag line...not a restraint line, and not a pull line for a back leaner.

You're right.
I was being a smart ass.

Definitely not the thing to do to Justin, since he'd never do that himself.:lol:

Also someone who just about managed to get himself squashed like a bug on a windshield shouldn't be a smartass. I wish to retract that remark.

I think we are up against the loggers/ arbos thing that pops up ever so often in discussions here.

The two groups just don't think alike, not even guys like you and me, who are loggers specializing in arborist tecniques.

That is IMO why the Murphadite fared so ill here.He kept coming up against folks who said, " if you can't make a decent face cut in 2 cuts, you are worthless".

Well you know everybody see things differently .Like that dead white oak I tripped the first of November .I was about half scared I'd rattle the top out of it wedging it over which did break on the fall with a pull line . If that heavy SOB would have clobbered me I wouldn't be typing this post . It went exactly where I aimed it I was just a 150 feet away from it when it hit the ground with a mighty thump .

Back