2008 Tree Climbing Rendezvous!

leaflickers?

I chewed up some linden leaves the other evening. My date had some too.

Very tasty. ;)

:lol:That's the spirit!

I joke at everyone including myself, life's to short to have your skyvies in a knot.

Seriously I really hope to be able to start travelling to some tree events soon. Sounds like a goodtime and a guy could learn alot.

Dang, I sure wish it was closer to home. I don't think I'll be making the 3000+ mile trip this year. Guess I'll just have to climb all by myself (again):cry:

It's only a couple of hundred miles down here for you, Sean...come on by and I'll whine at you for hurting the poor trees :). It'll be nearly as good :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I forgot about the hurting the tree bit.

They wigged out when they saw that SCARY 13" handsaw I had on my saddle.

Gary, are you staying there or commuting from the house? Seems it'd be about an hour drive?

Hey, Carl, just got back from 4 days out of town..no I-net down on the Farm...plenty of trees though, got to do some climbing and pruning.

Yah, I remember some of them got cratchety when they saw that we planned on taking a handsaw up in the tree. I can't imagine going up without one.

I still haven't decided about commuting over..it is about an hour. I'll have to look at the cost differential closer and let you know. It would be a lot simpler to just be there on site and not commute..that will be my preference.

there is a rate for those that do not want to stay at the event site. check the site again as last look the dollars were 50 more.

here you go-

Single room: $600 per person
Double room: $450 per person (there will be opportunity at a later date to specify room partner)
RV hook-up site: $300 per person
Campers: $250 per person
Daily Rate: $175 per person (local participants only). Includes lunch and dinner all four days. Sorry, no early bird fee applies.
Children over the age of 13 who are experienced climbers are welcome to attend. Non-climbing spouses or significant others are also welcome to come relax, enjoy Simpsonwood's walking trails, and spend time with your partner's old and new friends. The same fees apply.
Please do not bring pets!
At this time we are taking participant information and deposits of half or all of the Rendezvous fee. An “early-bird” registration discount of $50 has been figured into the prices on our registration form, and is given to all who register prior to June 30.

THEY are going to have Tree Golf also. . . .

I just received this email from TCI (Tree Climbers International). There are several clinics listed that will be taught...the very FIRST one listed is "Beginning Splicing Skills" (Nick Araya), OUR very own TreeHouse splicer. 8)

It's gonna be a good time...

REGISTER NOW!
The 2008 Tree Climbing Rendezvous in Atlanta
Thursday afternoon, September 25 -
Monday morning, September 29, 2008

As the 2008 Tree Climbing Rendezvous draws closer, it is shaping up to be an unforgettable event. You can always read all the updated details on the TCI website, but here is some of the juicier news:

On June 2, a team of five went to Simpsonwood to find the best trees, and oh! did we ever find trees! A grove of big, beautiful secluded white oaks perfect for a huge treetop village and multiple tree-to-tree traverses; huge red and white oaks ideal for the pre-Rendezvous Basic Tree Climbing Course and Rendezvous workshops; a forest full of beech, pine, oak, and poplars that are just waiting for their first climbers! And we haven't explored the river trail yet! If you have never climbed in the Southeast--and even if you have--you're in for a real treat. Many of these trees are well over 100 feet tall.

Plans for all of the workshops and evening lectures are set, and we're finalizing the schedule now. Participants will be intrigued by the variety of offerings from a great group of teachers and speakers. Whether you're a beginning or veteran climber, there will be something new and different for you!
Registrations are coming in from climbers all over the world. So far we have participants from the United States, Japan, Canada, France, and Great Britain. Here's a fabulous opportunity to climb with a very diverse community of climbers!
Remember: The "early bird" registration period ends June 30th. If you want to save $50 on your registration fee, sign up by the end of the month. Also, campground/RV space is limited, so if you plan to camp you should register soon before all the campsites are taken. We accept registrations online or by mail. Payment is by check (preferable) or credit card.

Looking forward to seeing lots of you there!

Peter ("Treeman") and Patty ("Tough ol' Bird") Jenkins
Tree Climbers International, Inc.

I'm looking forward to teaching the class. It seems to always be a good time. And almost everyone gets to make someone they can actually climb on!

love
nick

At first I thought, "Doood. I'm there!":D

But, it is 3-4 days (4 if I had to work that Saturday) of missed work for me and my employee. And I can't give him a paid vacation. Heck, I don't get paid vacation!:whine: (Self-employed joke)

Dang. I'm bummed. I like poking fun with hippies. My dad was one and I have a little hippie in me, but where I live, I'm also turning into a redneck. :/:

Not to forget I was raised in southern California. So, I'm a California kid, who is is having a identity crisis between being a hippie and a redneck.:what:

Go figure...

Darin, I had the same thought when I read Nick's post.....but I admit that I'm shamefully curious about what takes place at this rendevous.:\::O:evil:

I was able to get away for 2 days to attend the Rendezvous just north of Atlanta. The only Houser I saw was our own Nick...he taught several four hour sessions of splicing (I went thru one this morning with Nick...made a split tail that actually looked pretty good).

I made several climbs with Desi, a fellow from Austin, Tx, that I first met at the 2006 Rendezvous in MS. Saturday morning, Desi and I installed a Treeocache in an 85 foot oak...I had noticed a broken off limb about 50 feet up and thought it might be a good place to place a stash. When I slowly peered over the edge, not really expecting to see much, was I ever surprised...this is the first time I have run into a possum in a tree. He got pretty hunkered down, hissing' and spittin' like he wanted to explode, but never really got aggressive...he was kinda fun to watch. As long as I didn't get too close he would just watch me.

I set the cache about 4 feet above Mr. Possum figuring it would be an added bonus for folks that wanted to try to find the treeocache...I was going to warn them about him before they went up...but that idea got nixed by the folks in charge of the event. They didn't want anybody to have a bad run-in with a pissed-off possum. :\:

Attachments

• DSC03219 (2).JPG
    DSC03219 (2).JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC03220 (2).JPG
    DSC03220 (2).JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC03222 (2).JPG
    DSC03222 (2).JPG
    256 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC03225 (2).JPG
    DSC03225 (2).JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC03226 (2).JPG
    DSC03226 (2).JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 7
So, Desi and I made an after lunch climb in the TreeBoat tree...Viola of New Tribe, had installed 5-6 Boats and several seats throughout the canopy of a large oak. I took my book The Scout, by Harry Combs (historical fiction about a Scout in the days of the Indian Wars -- approx 1870's and 80's), got settled in about 50 feet up and read for awhile. We had mild temps, some overcast and light breezes -- wonderful chillin' weather. A fellow from England named Paul got some pictures in the Treeboat tree...I'll share those once he passes them along.

After the boating, Desi and I went back to the Possum tree...I went up and retrieved the treeocache. Mr. P was still there and gave me a nice smile when he saw me again ;)

Anyway, it was a good Rendezvous...I got to hear Robert Fulghum Friday night and Margaret Lowman, world-renowned canopy researcher and author, "Life in the Treetops: Exploring the World's Forests." Sat. night...both were excellent speakers.

There was also a celebration Sat. night of TCI's 25th year...Peter Jenkins, the founder, was congratulated, toasted and recognized for his major contributions to the very popular recreational treeclimbing.

Attachments

• DSC03227 (2).JPG
    DSC03227 (2).JPG
    225 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC03232 (2).JPG
    DSC03232 (2).JPG
    398 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC03235 (2).JPG
    DSC03235 (2).JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickfromWI
And almost everyone gets to make someone they can actually climb on!

love
nick

No thanks I am a married man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That you are, and, obviously, happily....lucky fella you are!!

Gary, let's see that split tail! Also, I wanna know if that toned-down double braid splice works out for that black hand-rope.

Here's a couple pics...

Attachments

• P9251731.JPG
    P9251731.JPG
    655.1 KB · Views: 12
  • P9271737.JPG
    P9271737.JPG
    707.9 KB · Views: 9
OK, Boeski....here's the split tail. THis is one that I made in Nick's splicing class...his excellent tutelage made it work.

I am getting ready to NICC it...with some help from Hayden's buddies.

That was an excellent splicing experience. Two years ago in MS, I stayed busy videoing the process..this time it was hands-on...very satisfying that it actually turned out so well.

I'll keep you posted on the yoga rope hand loops...no time yet to play with them.

Attachments

• IMG_7569 (3).JPG
    IMG_7569 (3).JPG
    506 KB · Views: 8
Back