intentional barber chair

Well, that's true. It was actually all three factors. He didn't make a nice straight hinge, he made a triangular wedge. And the tree was compromised. And the mechanical advantage made it mimic a lean. Sorry, no, I don't know where the other pics are, that was last year I think

The pull on the tree mimicked a head leaner, that is all. The barbers chair was caused by poor cutting - no other reason. Even if the tree is structurally unsound then the cutting should compensate for the fact.
Simples :)

...will catch up with you one way or another , you will not get hired and be out of Treework or you kill or maim something or someone and be out .... Seems you just don't respect the Trade. Enjoy the ride Murf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
been on the ride for over 30 years brother...
that was a "learning opportunity" in a zero risk situation....
And I learned a lot... could end up saving a life out there ....
trust me.. it was a hassle to split the grain on that big wood...
doing so in a well controlled and documented scenario has value to me...
I have close up and wide video shots of the split.

I appreciate healthy skepticism, especially when life is at risk.
On the other hand, innovation only comes from trying something new, which has inherent risks.
IN this case one thing I learned is that you can use a co-dom as a back stop to prevent BBC, if you are gunned in the right direction...
seems pretty obvious in retrospect and I AM sure the west coasters lumber Jacks all learned that from Grandpa early on.. I might have even read about it on this boards somewhere.. but this experience has me know it in a place that won't be forgotten..

Attachments

• BBC 8.jpg
    BBC 8.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 39
Here's something else a bit "off", I tried for the first time yesterday..

self lowering NC rig just to control the piece, slow it a little and keep it from taking a bad bounce.. and of course just to see what happens, which is a subset of the real reason.. "cause I wanted to"

Attachments

• self lower rig.jpg
    self lower rig.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 39
Why would a logger intentionally devalue a sawlog by bc'ing it, or not following safe working practices?
The unwashed masses of Darwin Award contestants who have their screw ups posted on You-Tube replicate your "innovation" and experimentation quite well.
If ignorance is no excuse, I doubt that the pursuit of a learning experience by doing dumb things excuses stupidity either.

I don't think your experimentation has any value whatsoever, and is detrimental to both your reputation, and that of the industry we work in.

dug a hole .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% to China.... butt up the air like a stripper...

Shigo was widely ridiculed when he first started teaching CODIT and target cuts.. he was just about thrown out of Germany... I talked to his colleagues in NH about it.
People in this industry seem to have fixed viewpoints. This is right and that is wrong.. PERIOD..
with so much diversity between arborists, loggers, land clearing, municipal, line clearance, topography, tree species, markets, neighborhoods, etc... wouldn't it make sense to relax and try to see things from someone else's perspective once in a while?
We all make sawdust, but our needs and concerns are often vastly different...

That doesn't look like any barber chair I've seen. Looks more broken off. By your skid steer? I don't think I've seen a split less than about 20 feet. I think a co dom gives you a 50/50 chance if you are pretty sure it's going to happen. 50/50 because you maybe safe if it goes to the far side of the co dom, to the near side, you're still in trouble. Another flaw I see is, if you know it's going to happen, I don't line 50/50 odds, I'm going to do things differently, not depend on chance

Back