Cranes are now old skool

pete mctree

Treehouser
:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RNn-Yn3lu-A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RNn-Yn3lu-A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So, what's the story behind that? I wonder how much a helicopter rental costs? And dealing with the liability? :O

Way cool though! 8)

With all those low hanging boughs, it looked like the climber was in danger of being injured several times.

Does anybody know what kind of tree that was?
It looked like a picea omorica aka. serbian spruce ( I think!!) with those hanging branches, but I don't think they grow that big.

I dont think Id do that. It seems to me the Heli just cannot be "feathered" if you will. Sometimes doing crane work you need just the slightest (yet stable) touch and the heli doesnt seem to be able to do that. Too sketchy for me.

I think I may be too old the that much fun........ That 2nd cut looked sketchy, the pick dropped about a foot below the climber before it went up:O

Was the copter just dropping the pieces in the ocean???

Looked real "dodgy" to me also... Almost looked like that, I think, second pick could have hit the climber good. Let alone the downward hanging boughs. I don't think I would want to work in all that down draft and chopper noise either. Thanks but no thanks. Cool video though :)

Just not enough control for me. Plenty of power yes, but it lacked finesse. I like to see the pieces float of the cut, not jump. Id do it from the ground, but not in the tree, unless the finesse could be dialed in.

dont think id want to do it with that tree and its droopy limbs but it was cool. i was noticing how good the operator was but no way to be as stable and smooth as a crane

I'd do it in a heartbeat. That job looked pretty straightforward to me. Just cut and lift, nuttin' to it. Probably sucks being in that rotor blast, but I bet you get used to it. Kinda like working in a hurricane. :D

Hire a bigger chopper and take the tree in two.. LMAO... Charge up the arse and move onto the next tree... or go play at the pub for the rest of the day ;)

True, but the heli seems to lack that ability all together.

If I could set up a snap cut that could be released without me anywhere near Id feel alot better about it. Like the heli logging in Gerry B's video.

Looked sketchy to me. But I'd do it cause I have huge balls.

Butch, the tune is by Juno Reactor, its the title tune to the Animatrix

I would expect the heli to have a load meter just like a crane. Put enough lift to equal the estimated weight of the piece plus a bit more. Make the cut and away she goes. No problem. ;)

The climber was set up way too high at the end of his cuts. I'd be making my cut right above a limb and then be ready to duck under that limb after finishing the cut.

Don't get me wrong, I can see where one might have to implement a 'copter and I would do it if I had to. But I would still prefer rigging or a crane. And granted I have yet to work a crane job. I do think there would be a more gentle touch with the right crane operator from what I have observed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's wierd how when I posted this on Arbtalk, all the brits bar Ed had nothing to say with regards to the suspect lifts! The 2nd one was a potential disaster and i'd be very wary of cutting so low whith such an inacurate lifting tool

Don't get me wrong, I can see where one might have to implement a 'copter and I would do it if I had to. But I would still prefer rigging or a crane. And granted I have yet to work a crane job. I do think there would be a more gentle touch with the right crane operator from what I have observed.

:thumbup:

I would expect the heli to have a load meter just like a crane.

You would be wrong. They judge the load by the inversion on the rotors. (so I'm told by an aquaintance in the army air corps)

to much margin for error when your sitting 6" below the cut like he was - in fact one of the pieces dropped about 2 foot below the cut at one point.

I assume they did the helicopter because there was no place to set a crane or to rig down the tree manually. I imagine they weren't able to block a lane on that road and it didn't look like they had anyplace to park, never mind process a huge tree.

Back