More flippy caps sort of

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
We seen the flippy caps on the 540. Well here is a dealer sharing the flippy caps on the rancher with autotune. Looks like alot better design then stihls already. Just wonder how much pressure the tool less cap can take to unscrew a stuck cap.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxzEscxApPc?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxzEscxApPc?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The NE dealer also just said the new husky caps interchange with the old caps. Showing switching caps on a 550 with 455 to test fit. Now thats a good idea in my mind.

550xp 455 cap.jpg 550xp with rancher flippy.jpg

They seem like a half-baked idea to me , the Stihl ones. One improvement they could make are easy to see initial line up marks. Gas caps are fairly easy to see, oil is terrible.

I'm sure if you use them everyday they are pretty easy to operate, but having a rookie fill them up is a recipe for broken caps or a wet leg.

I see he started a thread elsewhere showing all of this now too.

Here is a pic where if a flippy cap is to stuck on. You can use a screwdriver on the husky flippy cap.

flipcapscrewdriver.jpg

As I've said before the problem with the Stihl caps is the o-rings swell up evidently because of the ethanol in the gas .They're like buck at a Stihl dealer .The oil cap doesn't seem to have a problem with swelling although if you don't get it seated it does oil your leg very well .

I guess in my case sometimes I'm so absent minded I've gassed and oiled myself with just about any brand I've ever used .You can really douse yourself with a back pack blower

It's new to me.
So, the husky flippy cap is a screwed one, no change in the tank's openings, the flippy part is just a handy folding handle.

With Stihl, the main goal seems (for me) the quarter turn cap, quick put in, quick put out.
The flippy part is the handle too, but a locking device as well. And in order to avoid some twisting in the O-ring, they separated the indexing function from the rotative part. If the both don't match in the cap, the cap can't go deep enough and the safety catches don't engage. Same with the swelled O-ring or the over filled oil tank.
We have the choice to not locking at all the cap or to break it if the cap is halfway engaged.
Put the cap in place, pushing it down whilst "unscrewing" it, take it out. Do that one or two times, and the pieces come back in the right place. Then, you put the cap in for real, make sure it seats well, and now you can close it.
Quick put in, quick put out, indeed.:D

I know stihl has made some changes to either the o-rings or caps on some of their newer equipment.

I got a cap recall for my KM130 powerhead. The old cap wasn't terrible but was occasionally a PITA. The replacement cap has been much better. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the material the ring is made of or it's the cap itself. I'd guess the cap since they replaced the whole cap. Maybe there's more room for the ring to swell up or something.

Gotta love ethanol..

I found some rings at work but I can't remember the exact size .I've got some in one of my drawers some place if I can locate them .

It seems to me they might be an RCH thinner than what I measured from a new OEM ring from a new cap .

As I've said before the problem with the Stihl caps is the o-rings swell up evidently because of the ethanol in the gas .
Your theory is correct. I am currently 5 Stihl chainsaws, and I have no this problem ... But I buy only quality gasoline. Worth to buy cheap gasoline (the smell of ethanol there is very good is felt) and immediately get this problem ... But maybe this is relevant only for Russia ....

I don't know if you can really tell by the smell if the gasoline has ethanol or not .Then again I have nothing to compair it to any more .

I'm not certain if people in Europe etc. exactly understand that we in the US really don't have the choice of gasolines other than aviation fuel of weather it contains ethanol or not .It all does weather we like it or not we just have to deal with it .

Coincidently though just yesterday afternoon I was going through an assortment of carb rebuild kits and could notice the older kits differed from the newer ones by the type of materials used now of days which is more resiliant to ethanol deteriation problems .

They've addressed that problem on modern automobile engines and in time I'm certain they will also on small engines ,chainsaws etc .

Now the older ones would work as well as 0-rings made of common buna-n they just won't last as long as the newer ones .

I know stihl has made some changes to either the o-rings or caps on some of their newer equipment.

I got a cap recall for my KM130 powerhead. The old cap wasn't terrible but was occasionally a PITA. The replacement cap has been much better. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the material the ring is made of or it's the cap itself. I'd guess the cap since they replaced the whole cap. Maybe there's more room for the ring to swell up or something.

Gotta love ethanol..

Here is the info on the stihl toolless cap recall http://www.stihlusa.com/information/recalls/toolless-fuel-cap/

THIS RECALL IS FOR SAFETY REASONS!

Specifically, the levels of ethanol, aromatics or other additives in some gasoline sold in the United States may distort parts of the fuel cap, which could make caps more difficult to install and/or remove. If a fuel cap is not properly installed and fuel spillage results, there is a risk of fire if an ignition source is present, which could result in a burn injury to the consumer. STIHL Incorporated has received no reports of injuries at this time.

The toolless fuel caps subject to this recall can be distinguished from a newly designed cap which corrects this problem by a molded identifier mark located on the lever of the cap and also by a letter molded on the underside of the cap. These identifier markings are shown in the example photos below:

The STIHL products and model numbers subject to this recall are:
For more detailed photo click on the specific unit below

Product Name & Description Model Number Serial Numbers Affected
Blower, backpack BR 500
BR 550
BR 600
BR 600 Magnum

Up to 284053456
Up to 284053456
Up to 284053456
Up to 284053456
Hedge Trimmer,
extended reach HL 90K
HL 100
HL 100 K
Up to 284101483
Up to 284101483
Up to 284101483
Pole Pruner HT 56 C-E
HT 100
HT 101
HT 130
HT 131
Up to 284398635
Up to 284097165
Up to 284097165
Up to 284097165
Up to 284097165
Edger FC 56 C-E
FC 70 C-E
FC 90
FC 95
FC 100
FC 110
Up to 284180999
Up to 284180999
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Trimmer/Brushcutter FS 40 C-E
FS 56 C-E
FS 56 RC-E
FS 70 RC-E
FS 90
FS 90 R
FS 100 RX
FS 110
FS 110 R
FS 110 RX
FS 130
FS 130 R
Up to 284180999
Up to 284180999
Up to 284180999
Up to 284180999
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Clearing Saw FS 310
Up to 284012099
KombiEngine KM 56 RC-E
KM 90 R
KM 110 R
KM 130 R
Up to 284180999
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099
Up to 284012099

You should discontinue use of your recalled STIHL product immediately and take it/them to an authorized STIHL Dealer. If your machine(s) has a fuel cap that is being recalled, your Dealer will install a new toolless fuel cap without any cost to you.

Back