Your bid on 2 oak takedown?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I set a high TIP in another tree to use for support as I worked down the spar..it was nice to have the luxury of sitting some in the saddle and not being fully on the spurs. In the first picture you can see the lifeline at top left. The right diagonal line is a pull line that is attached to a hoist to convince the chunk to go where I want it.

The red line is the tether for the chunk to the vertical zipline.The orange line is the tail of my lanyard. The green line is a Poison Ivy lifeline that I got rid of after I got that first big chunk rigged.

Attachments

• IMG_9606 (2).JPG
    IMG_9606 (2).JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9607 (2).JPG
    IMG_9607 (2).JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9609 (2).JPG
    IMG_9609 (2).JPG
    845.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9610 (2).JPG
    IMG_9610 (2).JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9611 (2).JPG
    IMG_9611 (2).JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 11
Gary in a situation where I have room to layout a spar but am worried about obstacles nearby from a bad bounce. I tie or chain off the butt to the stump and then you can use your room without fear of a bad bounce.

8)

1. Undercut

2. Tie or chain off

3. Let 'er rip.

I used the 290 for the first few chunks but making the cuts match (16" bar) was tough. I used the 650 for the last 3 pieces. Still working on making even cuts.

Attachments

• IMG_9612 (2).JPG
    IMG_9612 (2).JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9613 (2).JPG
    IMG_9613 (2).JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9614 (2).JPG
    IMG_9614 (2).JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9615 (2).JPG
    IMG_9615 (2).JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9616 (2).JPG
    IMG_9616 (2).JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9617 (2).JPG
    IMG_9617 (2).JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 10
Gary in a situation where I have room to layout a spar but am worried about obstacles nearby from a bad bounce. I tie or chain off the butt to the stump and then you can use your room without fear of a bad bounce.

8)

1. Undercut

2. Tie or chain off

3. Let 'er rip.

A chain crossed my mind on the butt piece but I didn't have one. I remember seeing Deva's video of a rope that broke when it was tethering a butt...chain makes good sense. I'll have one next time.

MB, I think I could have bombed them. The ground was soft enough that they didn't go far; but, if they were bouncing off other logs on the ground I was concerned they might go scooting. Still learning how big wood behaves.

I have got a lot of respect for you guys that do this big wood a lot. There is a LOT of force and power in those chunks. Man am I glad I just got to walk away and leave the mess.

Yep, CursedV, I was wanting to show the process, maybe get feedback on how others do it.

You gotta have someone move the chunks outta the LZ.

With practice you can get pretty good at making them land flat.

Yah Gary wood of any size you'll want a chain on imo.

Looked good to me. Another advantage of a mini is you could bomb those chunks and have the hole cleaned out in no time.

Getting your length/cuts correct to laying out big chunks so they land flat is truly a art though. One that only comes with lots of experience. And one bad bounce could've cost alot on your job.

When I started in the business I had my forestry truck and chipper. Big wood or large amounts of wood were an SOB. So after a year or so I decided to get fixed up to handle it. Took me a year and a half or so to get my equipment together. Even if you are leaving the wood you need to move it around to keep your LZ clear.

.... Even if you are leaving the wood you need to move it around to keep your LZ clear.

You're right...I got lucky and just piled these pieces up. The LZ and size of wood is going to help dictate the jobs that I take...no plans to buy material handling eqpt. here.

Looks like you have come a long way since the days of your mandatory three tie in points, Gary. As usual, I'm envious.

Back