Your bid on 2 oak takedown?

I base all of my tree work on 350 per hr. for pruning work and 450 for removals . I find that I make much more money doing three or four 2 hr. pruning jobs than removing one large tree with less equipment and it is much easier on the men.. I just wish that pruning work was more steady..

I base all of my tree work on 350 per hr. for pruning work and 450 for removals . I find that I make much more money doing three or four 2 hr. pruning jobs than removing one large tree with less equipment and it is much easier on the men.. I just wish that pruning work was more steady..

That kind of money is a pipe dream around here. You'd never land a single job.

$350 per hour is a fair rate for a 6-8 man supercrew. I know a very good local company that runs a big crew and they need $2400 per day minimum.

True I don't really know what he's running crew or equipment wise. But that'd be alot of dudes and lots of iron to fetch that kind of dollar here. To put it basically, no one does it. And there are companies here that run three crews and I can guarantee you that no one crew is fetching that kind of money. I can't think of a tree that I'd need 6-8 guys on.

We average between 1800 and 3400 a day here, with that being said i price my work midway so I have a 50% chance at landing the work, with that being said we also pay really high insurance and our workers comp. is absorbent as well, when you seperate our overhead, you and I probably make the same money we just need to pay more to get it..

:birdman: :P
super crew:P
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/21mWwZOFxe4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/21mWwZOFxe4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I hear what you're saying but wow. I'm insured, compo the whole schmeal. What are you running for a crew and equipment?

I hear what you're saying but wow. I'm insured, compo the whole schmeal. What are you running for a crew and equipment?

Currently, four trucks three dump bodies, One bucket and three stump cutters, our normal crew consists of six men including myself, granted all those trucks are never out at the same time but we have it to have it, we also do landscape work where we can make very good money and compared to heavy removals landscape is a breeze..

But then the dollars/hour that you quoted must be for multiple crews running on multiple sites? What trim job would you be doing that you need six men and four trucks?

I mean then it's all relative. The big companies could add up all their crews everywhere and say that's their hourly rate?

I'm confused now.:|:

Skwishey, big crews like that don't do a lot of jobs with just one tree. Think of commercial properties, trimming up all the trees in a parking lot or cleaning up an apartment complex type of deal.

I guess that's one of the big differences between here and there. There's some of that kind of work around, but mostly the companies that do those kind of jobs bid on everything that I would be bidding on too and their crews work seperately and then just come together on the odd big job. Huge contracts are not that common here.

My chipping contract is worth around 18g and my one big competitor has all three of his crews going on it too so he's probably looking at around 54g for the same time frame. So yes during this chipping program he'd be grossing around the same as what Treeclimber mentioned. But normally his crews would be working independently or one helping another finish up a job or something.

No we often don't run all the equipment at once, we have it because there are times when one truck needs repairs or service, often a four man crew may doing a removal and two men may be removing stumps or planting trees whatever, we do a ton of stump removal and offer removal of all the mulch and a replant. We also do a ton of commercial work and in those situations you need that kind of manpower to be productive..

I just did two in a similar situation but had to top one to drop it. $1000.00 for both, burned the brush as we went and 4 foot sectioned the wood. Had to lower most of number two, then chunk, then drop.
Around here we get about $100.00 to $150.00 to drop and walk. I don't think $1200.00 would be to far fetched.

Watched Northern show up for a couple of smallish pines this morning with maybe 10 guys, a bucket, a log loader, a crane, chipper, and I thought that was WAY overkill.

I bet the homeowner would shit if she/he had gotten some other prices, 'cuz I KNOW what they charge! :lol:

How tall are those trees? Looks like easy pickings from a bucket. Prices seem high to me, but maybe it's a market difference. If the one tree can be fell and left, and the other just bombed out. How much room for the spar? As in how tall can it be dropped down that driveway?

To me the one to fall, looks almost like a natural. Like it might not need any wedges or rope, although I always put a rope on anyways as that's what my insurance stipulates. If so on the straight fell, $300 is steep for that imo. Not steep if you have to limb it and buck it up too, so make sure to clarify. The other tree looks like it would be a real easy bucket baby tree, and it appears like the spar could be taken quite tall once skinned. If so I'd be saying around $600-$800 to put it on the ground.

To return to the topic at hand. Couple a questions there Gary? But I stand by my numbers, it wouldn't fetch alot here if my assumptions are right.:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gary, to even think of taking on this job your job level skills and confidence must be improving. I'm proud of you. And if you sharpen your pencil you just might make something to show for it.

Some good advice here. Price wise? Figure it based on your skill level and how much time it would take to complete the job,,, and then figure how much your time is worth.

If you complete it on time then you should do good on the worth of your effort.

Luck, and may all positive things come your way.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and advice. I appreciate the input.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How tall are those trees? Looks like easy pickings from a bucket. Prices seem high to me, but maybe it's a market difference. If the one tree can be fell and left, and the other just bombed out. How much room for the spar? As in how tall can it be dropped down that driveway?...... The other tree looks like it would be a real easy bucket baby tree, and it appears like the spar could be taken quite tall once skinned. If so I'd be saying around $600-$800 to put it on the ground.

About 80 feet tall. No bucket here...good rope, 2 good CMI blocks with Tenex slings, a porty and good saws...and a good groundman if I can get my son to run ropes.

You made me realize something, Squisher...once I skin it (which will take awhile) I can punch out 6-8 foot pieces and probably lay a 12 foot spar parallel to the house...that'll speed things up some. Some of you guys would probably drop about a 30 foot spar parallel to the house...I'm not willing to take that chance yet...still honing directional felling with wedges. I'll make a few extra cuts for now.

Regards the flopper...I'll see if he wants it whole or diced. I think Cursed's reasoning is probably good...maybe $125 to just drop it...which for me means to set a top rope (hopefully with Big Shot, not climb) and tension and wedge.

Back