Your bid on 2 oak takedown?

Glad to be of some help then. Good luck with the bid.8)

And ya I knew or was fairly certain anyways that you had no bucket, but I'd imagine you'll be bidding against a slew of buckets if anyone else is bidding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad to be of some help then. Good luck with the bid.8)

And ya I knew or was fairly certain anyways that you had no bucket, but I'd imagine you'll be bidding against a slew of buckets if anyone else is bidding.

There's a good chance I have an edge because he saw how I took down the tree over his fence when I did the neighbor's job...carefully and successfully with no damage. I also did a pretty good job getting the tree down over his neighbor's house so he should feel like I am a known quantity. We'll see.

Mike, You are on the right track -exorbitant
Justin Scott, professional arborist, archer ,fisherman and walking thesaurus

Mike, You are on the right track -exorbitant
Justin Scott, professional arborist, archer ,fisherman and walking thesaurus

I knew that would come back to bite me in the ass. Too busy being a wise guy. I knew it didn't look right.:D I'm convinced I'm getting dumber as I get older.

Me too.-I am also convinced that you are getting dumber as you age.:P

I'll confess-when I typed it out it didn't look right either so I had to look it up and correct my spelling.

I think your numbers are just fine. $1200-$1400 is what I'd bid it at for myself (climber) and 2 guys on the ground (1 working the ropes, 1 on chipper, both dragging in between) and be done in a max. of 5 hours but prolly done in 3.5-4 hours. Hell, it might even go faster.;)

The way you're planning on rigging it should work nicely and go quickly once you're in the flow of it. The time consuming part will be getting all your rigging set up.... after that it'll be smooth sailing.:D

Do you use a port-a-wrap for lowering..... GRCS.... or something of that nature?

I think your numbers are just fine. $1200-$1400 is what I'd bid it at for myself (climber) and 2 guys on the ground (1 working the ropes, 1 on chipper, both dragging in between) and be done in a max. of 5 hours but prolly done in 3.5-4 hours. Hell, it might even go faster.;)

The way you're planning on rigging it should work nicely and go quickly once you're in the flow of it. The time consuming part will be getting all your rigging set up.... after that it'll be smooth sailing.:D

Do you use a port-a-wrap for lowering..... GRCS.... or something of that nature?

BranchD, thanks for the input. I know I'll never get it done that quickly. I use a porta-wrap for lowering.

I got the job...$1500 for the rigger tree, $150 for the dropper. The neighbor came out and asked the owner to have me remove some limbs that overhang where he parks his limo. The owner agreed (one had already busted the rear windshield) so I'll get some more work from that tree. It is next to the tree I have to rig down...I'll use the rigger tree to get access to the tree with the dead overhangers.

I went and set some access lines (left throw lines in place) just before dark to make setup quicker when I can get back...big rains due here for now.

Looks like about 4'diameter base? I cant see 80 feet tall .Looks more like 60'.Stump grind ,haul wood? if both $2,500 two day three guys.

Looks like about 4'diameter base? I cant see 80 feet tall .Looks more like 60'.Stump grind ,haul wood? if both $2,500 two day three guys.

I did the limo bomber tree late yesterday...by 150' Poison Ivy had about 10 feet on ground when I started climb so my TIP was about 70'...near top but obviously not at top. You are right on base, probably near 4 feet.

If that tree has a 48" dba it's considerably bigger than I guessed. I withdraw my $925 figure. I was thinking no bigger than 36".

There's a good chance I have an edge because he saw how I took down the tree over his fence when I did the neighbor's job...carefully and successfully with no damage. I also did a pretty good job getting the tree down over his neighbor's house so he should feel like I am a known quantity. We'll see.

Like I've said before Gary, I think in some ways we operate the same.This is how I get allot of my work. However, I'm up front with future customers. I tell them straight up I'm not a small co. I'm a nano company. If the customer is in no rush, if they want to do clean up, if they want it just dropped or dropped and the bigger bits bucked that their "wild thing" can't handle? Do they want to be there and watch - safely? Can they live with me starting one weekend and finishing the next? Can I burn the brush there? Do I haul it away? I try to be EXTREMELY flexible in order to win a customer. However, this all being said if you want a full crew to show up at 9 am and all the work done by 3 pm and not a leaf left I'm not your guy. If you can work with my "smallness" I can work with pricing. I know you wanted a price but that vaires with each part of the country and what your doing with the wood and brush. So I don't feel I can give one. I'm glad you got the job!! Good luck and be safe!

Gary are you basing your bid on this forum?

I would have honestly put $3500, probably a little high but sure for here.
Full clean up and no broken sheds or houses.

I love these guess the price threads.

Gary are you basing your bid on this forum?

I would have honestly put $3500, probably a little high but sure for here.
Full clean up and no broken sheds or houses.

I love these guess the price threads.

Blinky....91" circumference at BH...about 30" dbh...I was wrong (but the base at ground is a good 4 feet...good root flare). I was in the tree this evening setting some rigging (a block up high) to get a good start tomorrow...there is a LOT of wood in this tree...long limbs that are going to have to be pieced out to be safe. I'm wondering if I bid high enough now.

Cutitup...yep, nano is a good description. The tree debris is always a big factor with me, too. I don't have a way to chip or haul off...this owner just wants it on the ground which is perfect for me.

Deva...re: setting a price based upon the forum...not really. I know it is impossible to really know how to price something just from pictures and verbals. I wanted to get a feel for how prices might vary...and to see if my 1500-1800 idea was reasonable. I haven't ever bid one that high. I can see where a tree like this would be much simpler with a crane. The spread of limbs is big so I will have to reset rigging several times.

Most of the jobs I do independently are about half climbing/rigging and half cleanup/debris removal. If I don''t have to move wood, my bid is about half as much as when I have to bring heavy equipment. The overhead for for heavy machinery is way high, that's why it costs what it does to bring it out.

When I get into $1000 plus on a single tree it's because I have a chipper, a dump and a bobcat on site (unless it's a multi-day nightmare). I'm really really happy when I sell at $800 a day for just climbing, rigging and cutting... I'm still pretty damn happy when I get $500 and reasonably satisfied when somebody else sells and I only get a $250 day rate.

...and boy do I know that feeling of getting up there and thinking... oh man, that stuff's a lot bigger than it looked from the ground.

I suck at bidding consistently so I've been doing much better with my hourly/ daily rate. Most of the guys I work for are much better at estimating my time than I am. They call me up and say "I need you for 3-4 hours on Tuesday" and I know I can book a second job for after lunch.

Wait until you get into $3000-$5500 crane removals. ;)

Never happen in my market. People will not spend that kind of money.

In 20 years my single biggest tree (on the $$) has been $1800.00

Back