WTB Dump Trailer

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Looking for atleast a 5 ton within a few hundred miles of PA. Will travel for the right deal. Was thinking new, but with trailers there is little to go wrong. They either haul or they don't. So I'm putting my feelers out for used.

I smell expansion! Dump trailer mini combo have made me a nice profitable biz and will for you as well.
There are a few dt here on CL but to far away :(

I wonder the same thing. That is a big concern of my partner.... And mine for that matter. Would the time saved by having a mini be negated by having to run back for the mini?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

All depends. Depending on the amount of wood you can sometimes save a little space in the trailer for it. Or, you can load it on the back of the truck. Most minis and even the small avant will fit in the back of a pick up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A dump in the back with a platform in the front seems like the way to go with a trailer. Feels like they jack the price up for those though!

A couple things to watch out for.

Tube frames rot out from the inside out. So stick with channel iron you can see.

And all rust faster than a 70's Japanese car.

I wonder the same thing. That is a big concern of my partner.... And mine for that matter. Would the time saved by having a mini be negated by having to run back for the mini?

Pardon another inarticulate post tonight.

No offense here Erik, but I think you are looking at it all wrong,

would the time it costs to sit in a climate controlled cab for the extra trip, using Right Pedal Power, listening to music, eating and drinking, on the phone, running errands en route possibly, be worthwhile as compared to the wear and tear on your bodies (limited life span, and you, like all of us people are on the downhill slope at this point), less energy for your family at the end of the day, longer time onsite, yada yada

It might expand your market from the no access climber jobs to the access jobs that require climbers not bucket trucks with a competitive edge.

You never have to use a tool all the time.

I'll tell you what though, one thing that goes on the truck now as much as chainsaws and helmets is that Arbor Trolley. Its a good in-between, cheap enough, very portable, and you can run a rope from a truck to the AT (with appropriate redirects, as needed) if you don't have a winch and power that thing on flats and uphills.

What is great for us is how many specialized tools are on the market now to help us make money.

Again, no offense meant, but your partner seems to be the nay-sayer, however I haven't gotten the impression that he has read threads about such things, drawing on so many people's successes.

You can get creative with things, too, A mini with grapple on the butt of a log, using the AT as a roller on the lighter end. The mini can be your power source for pulling trees. Do you ever have snow to deal with where a giant hydraulic shovel would help (I don't know, we don't have snow to speak of, here)?

A dump in the back with a platform in the front seems like the way to go with a trailer. Feels like they jack the price up for those though!

I would never have one of those trailers. Because the day is certain to come when you wish that deck was just extra dump box so you could've hauled all the wood in one go.

No offense taken at all. Everything you say is true. Change is hard for some people... Me included but especially for my partner. It really doesn't matter right now since we are buying a new truck so a mini is on hold for a while. I might make it seem like he won't agree to get a mini but I know we will get one when the time is right for us..... That's where the debate come for us. It's better to be debating when to buy a piece of equipment instead of how to stay in business.

And I HATE snow right now. I'm ready to move to Florida after this winter.

Not to derail, but how are you guys hauling the mini AND the wood?
Image.jpg This was a three spruce removal day I got it all chipped up in one load and here are the three butt logs. The key is having dumpsites close by. This job was up in New Berlin and an hour away, one way, from home base.
P.s. I forget to mention start to finish the job was two hours. Two guys.

Do you mean UV damage?

I used to live in NV. I started hiding from the sun, because I knew all bits were adding up to cumulative exposure. Now, I don't have that concern so much. It was actually sunny and warm today, for here in Feb.

This might be a good solution:

http://petestrailersales.com/PJ_B.P_EMZ8.html

I could see loading the logs all the way to the front and leaving enough room in the back to fit the mini widthwise. Then strap the load down, drop one of the side doors and load the mini on ramps. This way, you could still use the whole trailer to dump if you need to... Hmmmmmmm...

Back