Who wants a screaming deal on a new Boxer 532DX? No 'fools!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love getting the trees down and sending a guy back with the machine to forward the material out to the street. It doesn't work out on long drags (low ground speed) and mountains of materials it's cheaper to use a larger machine. The Boxer can be moved with nearly any pickup, which means I don't have to baby sit. We've (Daniel) has put 39 hours on the Boxer in 9 work days.

Yesterday was a prime example.
Scott and Ben were doing trimming/removals, none required clean up.
Daniel was cleaning up two trees in a back yard Scott and Ben cut last week (28" gum and 18?" cherry).
I did stump jobs.

I'm interested in people's little tricks/ tips/ mods on the 532dx. Brendon maybe is working up the shield for the radiator. I'd like to cover the end of the tail pipe which sticks out for no great reason.

Also, what is the Boxer worth with a good operator (I intend to become very proficient)? For brush/ wood moving with the grapple versus bucket work?

Locally, they rent a machine (you pick up and trailer) with/ without out the trailer. Dingo 525 that doesn't fit through a 36" gate, maybe not 40" either.

DINGO LOADER

DINGO 525 4 Hour: $135.00 Daily: $160.00 Weekly: $560.00 Monthly: $1,300.00

tilt trailer
TRAILERS ::
12' SINGLE AXLE TILT TRAILER

12 SINGLE AXLE TILT TRAILER

4 Hour: $45.00
Daily: $60.00
Weekly: $220.00
Monthly: $450.00

I'm thinking of direct contracting with customers, as well as subbing to landscapers and tree services.

I wouldn't sub to any tree service unless you're good friends with them. Otherwise they get the advantage of the mini and BMG as well as you. I've only contracted out three times in 2 years too a buddy of mine who focuses mainly on pruning but does some removals. I'm not giving any advantage to the competition with my machine. You bought that machine to get an edge over everyone else, don't offer them the same edge, even at a cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As selfish as this sounds, if you turn your competition onto the production increase that the mini brings, they'll be quick to go buy their own, and there's a lot of fools out there that would start slashing prices because of their newfound capabilities. Its like discovering an awesome marketing technique. Might be best not to blab to much about it.......

The flip side of that coin, is they aren't a secret, and anyone at anytime can go buy one. You cant stop other companies from making wise choices, and it wouldn't be rational to think one could. But, let them do it on their own time, and in the mean time enjoy reaping the benefits of your own boost in production. Another thing you might find, is that you become a little possessive about that mini. Meaning, you want that thing in top order, ready to rock, all the time. You can find ways to milk a few bucks out of it here and there besides your own tree jobs, but the first time you break something on it, on someone elses job, and that thing is out of commission on your upcoming jobs, you will be sour. It will pay you better across the board to keep its use limited to your own high production, not someone elses.

Yep, what Chris said. I'll run circles around any company here because of my Gehl, and I don't want anyone else getting any ideas or benefitting off of my machine. 2 companies in town run Vermeer minis, with the Vermeer grapple, but that's it.

Be sure to get proficient at it and get the 'touch' for it. The difference between me and one of our guys running it is huge. It takes them almost twice as long to do what I can with it.

I don't let people catch on. When people ask i tell them it kinda sucks, and would buy something bigger. I have a friend/competitor almost convinced on pulling a trigger on a tractor. Lol. Im such an ass. Ill park it out of view too, when I'm on jobs. :|:

As far as the radiator guard goes I'm contemplating making a stack of them out of steel. Still up in the air on design, your sol on the muffler. Run it!

Yah I wouldn't sub it either. Build your business with it, not others. Let your comp know that any jobs with to much heavy lifting involved they don't want to feel free to pass your way. I'm the only one with a mini. One guy uses a bobcat with a non-grapple bucket, and another guy has a ooooooollld hiab truck, that I am kind of jealous of. Lol.

:drink:

Sell some big removals and you'll be grinning. You're running a CnD Sean? You'll be wanting to go to a driven feed wheel chipper next. I feed directly often and never touch the brush. Lay it on the tray, reach back and jam it into the feed wheels. All with the grapple. Oh crotch their on that limb to big for the chipper? Crunch, with the grapple. Snap it down a bit so it feeds through like nothing.

Not really my level of expertise so much, but it's cool to see guys that can be highly destructive with a grapple, like Squish.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm interested to see how it will feed, hopefully tomorrow. I've got a Chrysler 318 V8 engine with a 9X16 CnD throat.

I agree that a 12"+ feed wheel chipper will be coming.

A local business charges $350/ load for a 30 yard end-dump with a prentice type grapple loader. I imagine a lot of fir brush will crush down well under that grapple. What kind of value do you see in that compared to driving a chip truck and operating a chipper, especially when that brings it into a two rig show?

Grapple trucks are the way to go IMO, you have to have a good dump site though, otherwise it won't work. 30 yard truck is kinda small as well IMO, it'll fill up fast, especially with fir limbs, which I imagine are really springy and can be hard to compact.

And I agree with Squish, 12"+ feed wheel chipper should be the next purchase. We feed ours with my gehl all the time, it's the way to go. So much faster, no fighting the brush. And like Squish said, you can really crunch down on those crotches so it feeds smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested to see how it feeds longer hardwood limbs. Brush chokes the Cnd more than wood. It can handle the wood with less bogging down. Filled the truck with about 10 grapple loads of brush, about 10-12 yards. Me Likey. Bucking rounds becomes a matter of "how high do I want this to be off the ground?".

gavy6a7a.jpg
ehudazuz.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I might even come to like grinding, in time, for a low brain power chill out. I will have to figure out an umbrella / sun shade and mount. Only sensible.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back