What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 494K
For 3 days straight it rained off and on last week, today, more rain, tomorrow, ice and snow.

Around 25 F right now, with a few inches of rain on the ground, plus more ice/snow mix on it's way tonight.

Hoping for a snow day to get off school!!

Well, this could be fun:? Winter weather advisory, but they aren't saying why? Probably a half inch on the ground now.
One station says one inch to three inches of snow. Another says a trace to two and a half inches by the am, then another trace to one and a half inches.
The weather channel says one to three inches of snow then changing to freezing rain in the afternoon:\:
No wood run for me!!! Hell I may get a call form my old employer and have to move snow for them in the am!!!
This weather is nuts right now!!!

I mean we all need the water.... but ....
I don't know that we a re going to get our forecasted nastiness here tonight. Seems like we warmed up a bit and it may not dump another 2 feet tonight. But the dang weather thangy says we are in for more Tues and Thurs.... ?? I should be able to get out of the driveway tomorrow and go see some damage. Have to check our place too... We have one VEERY LARGE bull pine that lost a major limb on the last wind storms.. Should be interesting tomorrow to see what the wind and wet snow accomplished.

We have mashed potatoes everywhere and more fluffy stuff falling from the sky. The local ski resort is opening this week. HOORAY!

Well, it seems we are having a "winter weather event"!!

Me thinks I should get to bed, as the phone wil probably start ringing in the early am.

I can't wait to hear the explenations of a "winter weather event":lol::lol::lol:

I have to say that since this weather started, the phone has become more active. I have consults to do and I heard from some customers that have been dormant for about a year. I also need to go to town and talk to the rental agencies and insurance companies to remind them we are working storm damage ;) ALWAYS stay visible!

I spent a couple years working in an apple orchard in N. California. The area didn't get much snow, but the rule of thumb was to prune in the late winter when the cold was lightening up, and not in wet weather, which can aid the spread of bacteria. The larger orchards didn't always have the luxury of waiting until the colder months were over, before pruning work began.

I would think that in the colder areas of the country, late winter pruning on into the first signs of spring, is preferred, especially with younger trees that don't have the cold resistance.. Prune cuts heal faster when the sap will soon start moving.

If there are signs of disease on the tree, like cankers, I'd guess that snow would be a liability...might want to be sterilizing the shears now and again..

Oh thought maybe some of you would like this link.... Yosemite web cams live. Fun to peek into once and a while.. But seeing I really don't feel like going outside and taking photos yet to post... This about sums up what is happening here ;)
http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/

Thanks!! It's 3 am..so I'll have to come back for that webcam...

So, Sierra skiers should be in heaven, eh?!!

It's about 23 degrees here....

Working on editing sunset and night shots from last evening.....brr, it's cold....

Here's a couple from just after it snowed, Sunday morning:

my courtyard, and its centerpiece, an upright green Japanese maple, about 30 feet tall x 35 feet wide
3109264988_efcc534267_o.jpg

Cowboy Dave got this bike from a customer, for his kid, but it sits at my place....in the way, till now!
3109264944_c009f6af4c_o.jpg

Last nite, only 2 of 140 shots chosen and edited so far...
my first try at HDR compositing...using 3 bracketed photos in my new Paint Shop Pro software
3112371963_a2bccfb8f1_o.jpg

seems just as good, working with just one image in the simple free Picasa.. increased the fill light which brought out the sky and dead madrona...
3112371947_b6f50fc861_o.jpg

That last shot is fun, Roger....I like the star effect on the street lights and the streak of red light on the road at the bottom.

Freezing rain/ice here. Not as thick as I've seen. Just waiting for my husband to call and say he's gotten to work, my daughter to call and say she's leaving from work, and the sun to come up so I can get out there myself. School's off so at least I'll have help for frozen gates and such.

Too early in the morning for me. I could not figure out why the Yosemite cameras were all down. Hope it is just a temporary brain fart due to the creeping crud that I have had the last couple of days.

Finals just starting. The evil professor side can come out now.

Bob, anyone as smart as the professor in this year's classes?

Did you ever see the movie, "der blaue engel", with Marlene Dietrich? How the serious professor gets corrupted by the beautiful night club performer.....

Probably two inches on the ground, a little more coming down. 13 right now.
I will go plow a little bit, then I need to go build a set of stairs for a garage entry.

Currently about 29F and no more snow last night. I guess they are saying it should start raining sometime midday and turn to snow tonight. I am not having a high confidence factor in our weather forecasters. We shall see........
Cool pics Roger, you got a talent man... I'll have to show those to Katy...
Bob I will check on the cams and see whats up. They look like they might still be having weather up there. The storm kind of got stuck there yesterday until it can get over the high country. So it would seem anyway... I look out my back window in their direction and see clouds up there.

Checked on those cams... They are up now and current.. They are not full motion BTW, they just update every so often. The clouds have cleared in the valley there, but you can still see the clouds in the high country above the valley.

When I was looking, it was still dark out there. That is why I hoped it was just temporary--my insanity!!! Good Pictures.

It's cold enough, but it needs to stay this way for a couple of weeks. It just might be enough to make a difference this year.

Back