What harness to get??

Anyone spent much time in a Petzl Miniboss? I've used a Versatile for a long time but want to see if there's something better out there with a batten seat before I buy a new one.

I am not trying to derail the thread. I am also looking into a new saddle. I have my choices made but need one question answered.

What are the advantages of a sliding bridge over a fixed center point attachment when climbing???? I have never had a sliding bridge but can see that they may make getting out on the end and working a limb a little easier.

My choices for a new saddle would be a Versatile with bosun or a New Tribe.

Getting to the point I might have two saddles set-up with different gear. One for the removals and another for speciality trimming.

I tried a Sequioa at a climbing seminar. Didn't like it one bit. The hardware like the buckles were hard to get together and I thought the construction was kind of cheesy for a climbing saddle.

Anyone spent much time in a Petzl Miniboss? I've used a Versatile for a long time but want to see if there's something better out there with a batten seat before I buy a new one.

I've worn one of those out.
It is very comfortable to sit in, but also very "stiff" and difficult to twist in.
Also it suffers from Petzl's usual tendency to make the D-rings too small.

Did you make a bridge from the side rings Stig? Or just tie in on the center steel dee?

What do you guys think of the tree motion from Sherrill tree?

I bought a cheap saddle and it is hard to move through out the tree.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
Saddles are quite personal and you have to have some idea what style you like. Do you want a floating Dee style, or a fixed central attachment instead? Do you prefer a legstrap or a buttstrap, and concerning the latter, do you want a soft or rigid seat? Do you like the weightier, more rugged saddles or can you get by with one of the lighter models? Will you want suspenders to stop the chainsaw dragging the saddle down your hips?

What type of old saddle do you have now?

Did you make a bridge from the side rings Stig? Or just tie in on the center steel dee?

I used the two center dee-rings. Not the ones back on the hips but the "loose ones in the middle. The fixed center dee puts you in a too upright position for my taste.

G.F.B. overviews the saddle types in "Fundamentals" ... a good guideline might be that in nothing but straight pole take downs (spike and safety) a good waist belt will do , for extended hang time , such as crane work a butt style will be more comfortable (maybe even a batten seat) , for limb walking and overall mobility in the canopy the leg style cannot be beat ! Check out the book ! Good Luck !

Saddles are quite personal and you have to have some idea what style you like. Do you want a floating Dee style, or a fixed central attachment instead? Do you prefer a legstrap or a buttstrap, and concerning the latter, do you want a soft or rigid seat? Do you like the weightier, more rugged saddles or can you get by with one of the lighter models? Will you want suspenders to stop the chainsaw dragging the saddle down your hips?

What type of old saddle do you have now?

I have a saddle like this: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=01035+SM&catID=1392

I find it hard to move through out the tree. My legs feel like they can’t move all the way because of the buttstrap.

I would like a floating D, I think it would be easier to mover around the tree. I would like a soft seat.
I would really like legstraps, they seam like your legs could get more "motion"
I would like suspenders, so the weight of the saddle would not be a problem. But i would want to be able to take the suspenders off and still climb without them.

I am looking at the tree motion and the Sequoia.

Thanks Nick

G.F.B. overviews the saddle types in "Fundamentals" ... a good guideline might be that in nothing but straight pole take downs (spike and safety) a good waist belt will do , for extended hang time , such as crane work a butt style will be more comfortable (maybe even a batten seat) , for limb walking and overall mobility in the canopy the leg style cannot be beat ! Check out the book ! Good Luck !

I have to buy some rigging gear and when I order all of that I am going to pick up that book. I have been looking at the videos and i think I am going to get those instead... I looked at the little demo video on his website and they looks like a great set for the money.

Thanks,
Nick

I like the use of the word 'Rad" in your post. :D My wife rolls her eyes when I say 'groovy' or 'swell' lol

Back