What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

John, if your a pretzel hound, see if any of your stores carry Utz brand, and then ask them to order the pumpernickel rods. Way too good, especially when dipping.
Yea, they are good. Haven't gotten them in a couple years though. I might have to make a run to Grauls. They're a bit of a hike, but it's pretty country, and I go past the bison farm. I can pickup some bison jerky. That stuffs spendy, but very good.

Had an aldi shepherds pie tonight. Love those things. They come in in the fall, and usually disappear in the spring. I probably eat two of them per month. It's a huge amount of food for $6. I eat 2/3 the first night, then add a can of greenbeans to bulk it up for the second night.

Never had much deer, but one of the best roasts I ever had was elk. That's something I'd like to have again.

We learned from my eldest uncle on my mother's side long ago to broil or roast venison draped with extra thick sliced bacon. I bet you'd like it that way, Butch :).

For sure!!! Deer has to have the seasoning added cuz it's JUST too lean. Hell, super lean ground beef is pretty damn bland to me!

I absolutely love the taste of venison. It can be dry, if you cook it like beef, but it is far from flavorless.

We were worried Dave. Most of our deer meat is cooked hot and fast to medium rare.

Dont normally cook roasts.

Cooked it till it was just about fall apart! So I guess deer roasts dont need to be med rare?

My family loves deer. We were gonna have rabbit.....but a storm blew in yesterday and we didn't get them butchered!

I am the world's poorest butcher i tell ya.

I was not even sure where that roast came from last night...front or hind quarters.

I just follow seams and silverskin layers.....trying to keep obvious muscle groups together. All boneless except for the shanks we saved.

The package was labeled NUT roast. Once out of the paper I realize why we called it that. It looked like a giant calf testicle.

My buddy's brother did the labeling.....

I am the world's poorest butcher i tell ya...

LOL, that's too funny, Jim. I have been eating things I kill most of my life and still have no clue on how to cut a proper or even recognizable piece of meat. No one in my family hunted and the hunting I do is solo. So I have done like you, shrug my shoulders and hack away.

Well, the thing about butchering is, in every part of the World, they do it differently.

The cuts we have here would mostly not make sense to an American butcher and the way the Moslems do it, makes sense to nobody else.

Says the vegetarian.:lol:

We bone everything out Dave, with deer and antelope anyway.

Takes twice as long or maybe longer. I suspect the knowledge required to make proper cuts with bones is above my pay grade!

My Father in Law watched with fascination the last couple deer we butchered. He had never seen a critter boned out. They dont do it that way in New Zealand.

You are my favorite rancher capitalist, meat producing Vegetarian Stig.

Alas, no more, Jim.

It got to the point where the only way to make money from grazing calves was by cashing in on the EU subsidize.

Being 100% against the EU, no way will I accept their money, so I quit.

Today the mail order brides horses enjoy the grass.

I'm amazed you remember the " Capitalist" thing.

Went to the German place with my mother again. I always get currywurst, but also got goulash this time. I was starving when I got there. Got a big ass beer as usual too. Paulaner Salvator. Really malty.

Basically. It's just sausage and fries with curried ketchup. Nothing fancy, but I really like it, and that's the only place I know of that has it. I think currywurst is the most popular street food in Germany.